Monday, May 10, 2021
Thursday, April 29, 2021
There's cheater fabric, and I suppose there's also a cheater mini. Like when you receive several baggies of quilt "parts" from a non-blogging quilter who decides to rid her stash of some extras. Sometimes a baggie can hold 23 feet worth of 1-1/2 inch finished HST blocks, another baggie might hold the beginning of a quilt plan cut short. That would be this mini.
Tuesday, April 27, 2021
After finishing stitching the last of the binding down last night, I popped this quilt in the wash for its beauty bath. Today it was sunny when I returned home from quilt ministry so outdoors we went for a few photos.
Loving how soft and spring-like this turned out!
The quilting is a mix of big stitch hand quilting and machine free-motion quilting. The larger square areas between sashings are a machine quilted stencil, and the narrower blocks and borders are hand quilted in a variety of colors of Aurifil 12 wt.
Wednesday, April 7, 2021
This quilt began with a box of twelve orphan basket blocks, the rejects after my friend L completed her own quilt made from a kit of Barbara Brackman's Baltimore Blues. My friend is a perfectionist and these blocks failed to pass muster for several reasons, basket points too close to the edge, a variety of finished sizes, not square, etc. By themselves they looked pretty bland to my eyes, but the first thing on the agenda was to border them and then trim them all to the same size. But the overarching goal was to preserve as many of the basket points as possible in the process. Believe me when I say there are a LOT of 1/8" seams in this quilt!
So, after a couple days, we had this. Still a bit bland but getting better, thanks to enough scraps of that delightful blue floral to fussy cut cornerstones for the sashing.
Last week while sorting through some bins of donated fabrics for our quilt ministry I found what to my eyes would be a perfect border to add more fun to this top. Lucky for me there was one 18 inch wide strip about 76 inches long. Enough for the side borders. It just happened to be a drapery fabric from 1986 according to the selvedge, a bit heavier than quilting cotton, but perfectly serviceable.
Wednesday, March 31, 2021
After seeing Kyle's wonderful adaptation of an antique miniquilt yesterday, I was reminded of the first mini quilt I ever made, way back in the mid-late 1980s. Though I had a few quilts under my belt by that time, being a young mother working in a home-based business and restoring an early 19th century home, etc. etc., there was precious little time left for quilting.
That Christmas, I think it was either 1987 or 1988, we purchased an American Girls doll for our young daughter. With limited funds, there was no money for any of her accessories, so we enlisted the help of my father-in-law to make a copy of Kirsten's bed. At Thanksgiving he brought us the bed, a faithful copy of the one in the catalog, though unpainted. I bought a set of patterns and set about making the doll's entire wardrobe as well as the bedding for the bed. Bedding consisted of a blue and white ticking mattress and pillow, antique linen sheets and pillowcase made from scraps left in the house by a previous owner, and a quilt.
Wednesday, March 24, 2021
My diamond jubilee quilt top is finished. Mixed emotions about this one, on the one hand thinking it is a hot mess, but absolutely loving so many of the details. It was definitely a challenge quilt from beginning to this point, and that was exactly what my beginning goal was, to see if I could make a pattern this complex. I wanted a brain challenge, and boy did I achieve that goal!
This month has been spent doing what I thought would be the easy part of the process, stitching up 324 flying geese for the sashings. After all the sunflower blocks pretty much went together without a major hitch, how hard could flying geese be? Turns out the geese became a huge growling bear! I cut the first few according to the pattern directions and after attempting to trim them up using my bloc-loc flying geese ruler, they were coming out too small. Cut larger pieces, but still many of them did not trim perfectly to size. At that point "done is better than perfect" became the slogan of the week, along with Gwen Marston's advice that if it's to small, add something, and if too large cut something off. I've really come to appreciate her sage advice!
So, a few photos of the assembly process.
Friday, March 5, 2021
Though I thought about it a lot, no mini quilt was completed in February, and the next one will likely be on hold for another month or two.
This piece has been nagging on my mind for the past several years, namely what to do with it!
A piece of batik, though extremely heavily waxed and stiff, 18 x 12-1/2 inches, purchased several years ago at a thrift store. The pencil lines outlining the figures are clearly visible, and it seems to be an original of some sort, but what? Searching the internet several time over the years has yielded no clues as to its origin or its potential value - maybe no more than the dollar paid for it. It does soften up a bit when pressed with the iron but the stiffness returns as soon as it cools, so I'm thinking it will be somewhat difficult to stitch and have no allowance for errors in machine quilting.
But, I threw it up on the design wall a couple weeks ago right above this motley grouping of leftover HST's, and immediately saw a couple possibilities.
Tuesday, February 16, 2021
One of my favorite songs over the years has been Sing the Blues Mama Lou as sung by Rita Coolidge here.
So when gathering up my blue scraps it seemed entirely appropriate that the resulting quilt should be named for this old favorite, newly finished as of last night!