My diamond jubilee quilt top is finished. Mixed emotions about this one, on the one hand thinking it is a hot mess, but absolutely loving so many of the details. It was definitely a challenge quilt from beginning to this point, and that was exactly what my beginning goal was, to see if I could make a pattern this complex. I wanted a brain challenge, and boy did I achieve that goal!
This month has been spent doing what I thought would be the easy part of the process, stitching up 324 flying geese for the sashings. After all the sunflower blocks pretty much went together without a major hitch, how hard could flying geese be? Turns out the geese became a huge growling bear! I cut the first few according to the pattern directions and after attempting to trim them up using my bloc-loc flying geese ruler, they were coming out too small. Cut larger pieces, but still many of them did not trim perfectly to size. At that point "done is better than perfect" became the slogan of the week, along with Gwen Marston's advice that if it's to small, add something, and if too large cut something off. I've really come to appreciate her sage advice!
So, a few photos of the assembly process.
The pins and scotch tape starting to come into play - this thing is WAY bigger than my design wall!
Trying out the setting triangles
Taping around the door frame, more pins, decisions-decisions!
At this point I decided to add a narrow border using the same setting fabric. While pinning that border I happened to walk in the room and saw this stained glass effect.
The sun was getting low in the sky and as soon as that last border was stitched I ran outside to see if we could achieve the same stained glass look of the entire quilt. But the sun was just disappearing behind the hill and the stained glass effect was all washed out by the low angle light. And now it's rain, rain, rain in the forecast for the next several days.
Really difficult to get an accurate photo of that setting/border fabric. It's much darker than it appears here, probably because it's an older 1980s or 90s print and the fabric is a bit thinner than some of the newer reproductions. The setting fabric is more true to its color in the lower left corner of this next photo, which also happens to be one of my favorite blocks.
This will be next in the hand quilting lineup, and hopefully it will become a finished quilt sometime during my diamond jubilee year.
The first snowdrops have bloomed by the garage where the sun has warmed the soil this past week. A few other green shoots are popping up here and there, though the snow still lingers along the edge of the woods where sunlight doesn't reach. This may be the week I sow the tomato seeds in their little containers though and that will seem to make spring that much more real in our neck of the woods.
Hope your Wednesday is going well, and that you have some happy sewing to fill your days!