Last week, while helping her clear out an apartment, I noticed the quilt's binding had become quite frayed along the edges, and offered to bring it home and rebind it for her. She was a bit reluctant at first, saying this was her very favorite quilt and she wrapped up in it every night, but she finally relented and it came home with me for a few days. So, this is what it looked like when I laid it out on the spare bed:
A little patchwork ensued.
The original binding was that same dark blue solid used in the sashing, and had long disappeared from the stash. I finally located a soft faded dusty rose fabric in a tiny print that looked like it would blend well with both the front and back of the quilt.
So, sporting some quilty band-aids and new binding, this one is ready to make the trip back to my daughter's place next week and will hopefully last a few more years.
Our spell of heat and humidity has finally broken, 44 degrees this morning when I turned on the coffee pot. The garden is beginning to look like it is ready for fall to arrive. I think we are too.