It's been a busy week here in the sewing room. Right after Christmas I recalled that the week between Christmas and New Years seems to be when home fires begin occurring in our rural area, and that we had no finished quilts in our ministry bins. So, on Monday afternoon I started some simple quilting on two donated tops that we had recently layered and pinned. Sure enough, a couple nights ago a local family lost their home to a fire. The family was not at home when the fire started and all are safe, but sadly their pets perished in the blaze. The two quilts are now bound and ready for donation as soon as we learn the dropoff locations for donated items. The two finishes, with thanks to Nann for the donated tops:
In the midst of quilting these two, the dual feed foot on my Janome suddenly developed a glitch, and now refuses to stay connected with the main feed dog mechanism. The foot itself seems to be ok, so I'm thinking the issue is in the back of the machine itself, no doubt requiring a visit to the sewing machine repair center 25 miles from here. Hopefully not too expensive a repair, and I'm especially hoping the machine doesn't need to be shipped back to the factory and I can get it back home quickly. Always something ...
In other happier news, the 2022 Christmas quilt top is finished and awaiting a backing and sandwiching for hand quilting in the new year. Top measures 68x77 inches.
A few closeups of some of my favorite fabric squares:
I had hoped to complete the hand quilting on my red and white log cabin quilt and have it bound and finished by year's end, but outside of a miracle, it will be another few days before that is accomplished. The most recent progress photo from last week: