Friday, December 30, 2022

End of Year Stitching and Finishes

 Hello friends,  

 It's been a busy week here in the sewing room.  Right after Christmas I recalled that the week between Christmas and New Years seems to be when home fires begin occurring in our rural area, and that we had no finished quilts in our ministry bins.  So, on Monday afternoon I started some simple quilting on two donated tops that we had recently layered and pinned.  Sure enough, a couple nights ago a local family lost their home to a fire.  The family was not at home when the fire started and all are safe, but sadly their pets perished in the blaze.  The two quilts are now bound and ready for donation as soon as we learn the dropoff locations for donated items.  The two finishes, with thanks to Nann for the donated tops:

Finished size 53x71 inches

Finished size 60x80 inches

In the midst of quilting these two, the dual feed foot on my Janome suddenly developed a glitch, and now refuses to stay connected with the main feed dog mechanism.  The foot itself seems to be ok, so I'm thinking the issue is in the back of the machine itself, no doubt requiring a visit to the sewing machine repair center 25 miles from here.  Hopefully not too expensive a repair, and I'm especially hoping the machine doesn't need to be shipped back to the factory and I can get it back home quickly. Always something ...

In other happier news, the 2022 Christmas quilt top is finished and awaiting a backing and sandwiching for hand quilting in the new year.  Top measures 68x77 inches.


A few closeups of some of my favorite fabric squares:


I only had one square of this sweet feature fabric

Quirky mushrooms

I had hoped to complete the hand quilting on my red and white log cabin quilt and have it bound and finished by year's end, but outside of a miracle, it will be another few days before that is accomplished. The most recent progress photo from last week:


Our weather is considerably better than last week, as we're in the midst of a thaw, and the ice in the driveway is slowly disappearing in the 50 degree temperatures.  Hoping it will last through the weekend as my brother-in-law is bringing his homemade lasagna for our New Year's Day dinner!  All I need to do is set the table and make a simple green salad.  Now that's a holiday in my book!

May your new year be blessed with good health, joy and peace.  

I'll be back early next week with my historic panel top when Lori posts her linky party.



10 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

all very pretty...but oh the log cabin...gorgeous!

Robin said...

Your two donations quilts are so cheerful. I'm sure the recipients will be thrilled to get them. So sorry to hear about your machine. There's nothing worse than wanting/needing to sew and have the machine not work. Love the red and neutral log cabin. There's so much movement in the fabric choices you made. I really like it.

Chantal said...

Sorry to hear about that family who lost their house and their pets. That's so sad. Well done on the quickly quilted tops. They will surely appreciate them. Love your Christmas quilt and those are lovely prints. I especially love the one you only had one square of. So pretty. I want to set up a quilt for hand-quilting too. I haven't done that in such a long time. I want to get back on that horse. The snow is melting here too. What a mess! Have a lovely holiday with the family. Happy New Year! xo ;^)

Needled Mom said...

Sounds like the quilts were finished just in time. Love the Christmas quilt. That center toile fabric is one of my favorites. I wish I had more of it. The log cabin looks pretty too. Happy New Year.

Nancy said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your sewing machine. I hope it's a quick and easy repair!
Those are two sweet donation quilts that will be great blessings to the recipients. I guess I didn't realize the prevalence of house fires. How very sad for the owners to lose everything, including their pets.
I love your Christmas quilt. It's such a simple pattern and just perfectly beautiful and inviting. You've use a great variety of fabrics to make it interesting on close view, too.
I'm looking forward to seeing a whole-quilt view of your log cabin when you're finished. I'm guessing you'll post about it? I love the colors--reds and whites/creams/off-whites, etc.
Our weather today was 63 degrees whereas last Friday it was -5 degrees and felt like -32. From deep winter to early spring in a week! Not really, of course, since I'm sure we'll have more winter in coming weeks and months.
Happy New Year to you and your family.

Kyle said...

The two donation quilt will be warmly received, I'm sure. Your Christmas quilt and log cabin quilt will be fun to work on throughout the year. Bummer about your sewing machine. Hope it just needs a little tweak. Enjoy that lasagne.

Nann said...

I resemble those quilts! The clues: the Chinese lantern fabric in the upper one (bought at our Magpie gathering way back in early 2020) and the zigzag setting of the lower one. Glad they have a new home.

I hope your walking foot can be fixed easily. I miss the "IDF" (integrated dual feed) of the Pfaff-- with my Janome (five years now) the walking foot is okay but it does get out of line if I try to pull the quilt sandwich back through it. (I don't have to do that often, but when I do the foot comes apart.)

Hope the thaw doesn't lead to flooding. What a weather week it's been! Happy new year to you and your family.

Janet O. said...

That is incredible how timely those happy quilt tops were ready. Sorry to hear about the loss!
Your Christmas quilt top looks lovely. I think I might have some of that "sweet feature fabric". At least I know I used to, but seems I've recently seen some of it--somewhere. LOL
Your log cabin quilt is gorgeous. Congrats on a near finish!
Your New Year's Day dinner sounds perfect to me!

Hill Top Post said...

I love your log cabin quilt. Wow! What a beauty. I hope you have a wonderful new year!

FlourishingPalms said...

I don't know how I've managed to miss your blog posts, but I see you've continued to be extremely productive. That's just wonderful! You're so thoughtful to anticipate that quilts might be needed, and I think it's extremely generous of you to quilt and finish two of them "just in case." How sad to know they are needed. You're a sweetheart to have made them ready. Though I'm really sorry to hear about your machine not working as it should. There's never a convenient time for a break-down. I hope the fix is simple. It's great that you're still hand-quilting too. And it hope your New Year's Day family lasagne/salad celebration was tasty and fun. Happy 2023!