Monday, December 19, 2022

Country Christmas

Christmas week, the gifts are wrapped, cards sent, cookies still in the planning stage, and in the midst of it all a new Christmas quilt started!  Several weeks ago I spotted this inspiration quilt by Amber at Gigi's Thimble blog. The soft colors and super-simple piecing appealed to me after the angst of putting together the top for the historic panel challenge (to be posted soon).  I've been hoarding saving a few pieces of older French General fabrics waiting for the perfect pattern.  Scrappy leftovers from other Christmas quilts, a treasured piece of Jason Yenter Yuletide fabric, and I was cutting squares in no time.

No better time than the holiday season for some simple peaceful piecing fun! 

Initial layout for about half of the quilt.  Quite a few blocks were moved around as sewing commenced. My blocks were cut at 5" with a planned layout of 15x17 blocks for a good size throw quilt.  I've been stitching the blocks into horizontal rows, then combining two rows together.  Hoping to be ready to assemble the double rows into four sections before sewing the whole together.  Maybe tomorrow.

Here's what was left of the second left-hand layout on the design wall when I quit sewing on Saturday.


I'm loving the soft hand of the French General fabrics, and thinking of using the one large piece in my stash for the backing to keep the soft cozy feel of the quilt.  This one will definitely be on my hand quilting queue for next year's evening stitching.  

After last Christmas we made the decision to not bother with a tree anymore, and have just decorated the dining and living areas of the house with lights and some treasured pieces from many years ago.  I packed up a box of ornaments for my son's family but have kept a few that we can use in bowls, and have a treasured handful hanging from the simple dining room chandelier.

A few of our treasures that remain ..
The far left Santa I've had for probably 40 years, the wooden handmade Christmas train purchased at a craft fair in Oregon-probably 10-12 years ago.

The wood trees were made by my late father-in-law about 40 years ago, the two hand-painted Father Christmas figures made by a friend 35 or so years past.

Large nativity from Liberia purchased at a silent auction in Oregon; the partial nativity at the right is one my mom had for many years, origin unknown.  Little cornhusk angel was a gift from my children when they were young.


Little carolers purchased at Fred Meyer in Anchorage, Alaska about 45 years ago; the barb-wire star made by one of our church families several years ago.  

Some of the many fabric ornaments I've made over the past few years, about to be wrapped and given to some of the youngest members of our congregation on Christmas Eve.

It has snowed lightly all day today, we probably have a couple inches accumulated by now.  The local road crews are very faithful at keeping the roads sanded and plowed, for which we are extremely thankful.  

Til next time, a blessed Christmas to all.










8 comments:

Chantal said...

I love your simple block quilt. It has a cinnamon and gingerbread glow to it with a little branch of mistletoe. So perfect for this time of the year. Thank you for the tour of your decorations. I love the train and the wooden trees with the Santas of yesteryear. Your handmade decorations will surely be appreciated by the recipients. They are just lovely. A blessed Christmas to you and yours as well. ;^)

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Simple piecing is perfect for the season. Cold outside, warm and cozy inside - your precious decorations are so charming. Merry Christmas!

Kyle said...

Although decorating takes more time and energy each year I love getting out favorite pieces and remembering their stories. Your simple one patch design is just the perfect calming sewing during the busy holiday season. FG fabrics are always so lovely and the simple squares is a good to place to highlight their patterns.

Lizzy D said...

Your home looks lovely and the view of the trees outside is perfect. I see a future when trees are no longer used indoors maybe? An odd custom, esp in hectic times.

Your quilt is so fun and delightful, it will be so cozy.

love

lizzy

Nann said...

It's such fun to get a Christmas tour and learn the stories of the collections. The simple squares quilt is lovely! French General reds are always terrific.

Janet O. said...

Love the simple piecing in the French General fabric.
Your decor is lovely. Really has a cozy feel.
I've seen the folded fabric stars, but the other ones are new to me.
Hope you have a blessed Christmas!

Nancy said...

Merry Christmas, Pat. I hope you had a good one.
Your red/white/grey quilt is so beautiful and inviting. It's good to go with simple sewing for a change.
I think that's wise to begin passing on Christmas ornaments. For the past few years we've had only lights on the tree. I should go through our ornaments and begin passing some one. Unfortunately, so many are dear to my heart and I know I'll have trouble letting them go.
You saved some beautiful decorations. The little carolers are sweet. And I love that barbed wire star. It's so unusual.

Barbara said...

Your Christmas quilt is lovely with all those special fabrics. Easy piecing is so enjoyable! I love seeing your treasured ornaments and decorations. I meant to take pics of mine but that's now been pushed to next year! I've been thinking of you in western NY and hoping you aren't anywhere near Buffalo. Wishing you all the best in 2023!