Well, so much for getting a second post for February composed! Not that nothing has been accomplished, but I suppose it's much more fun posting a new finish than reporting on the daily slog to move projects forward.
So, since we last visited, I've accomplished the ditch quilting on three quilts that are now ready for some FMQ or hand quilting. One of the donation tops from Nann was my favorite, and though it's mostly all florals and leaves, the bright colors make me think of mid-summer and citrus fruits. I'm loving working on this one. Now that the ditch quilting around the blocks is finished, the plan is to free motion a leafy-loopy pattern in each block, and probably also in the outer border. Don't think a fancy stencil will show up well on that leafy print you can see along the right edge in the photo below.
I've also made progress with piecing my vintage spin blocks, up to 23 now (I think). They're super easy piecing - free pinless piecing - which is a departure for me who always loads up on pins attempting to achieve perfect piecing - an impossible task! A few more of the blocks for this top:
It will be interesting to see if all these blocks can be merged into one harmonious whole. My husband doesn't want me to cut the wagon wheels down into squares, but instead divide the blocks into several tops, which would result in 22" blocks! 🤣
Ah, probably not. Needless to say though, this quilt has been more fun than I've had quilting in quite awhile, and stretching my imagination quite a bit in the process.
So, last Sunday I volunteered myself to make two donation quilts for an older woman and her multiply-challenged adult son. Being immune-compromised she has not felt safe for either of them to be among large groups of people, and though they come to church regularly, they listen to the service via FM radio in their car. It must be so lonely for them feeling they must remain isolated from the world, but they and we are thankful for the electronic means available to keep in touch.
Anyway, the son's quilt will be a lap size, probably finishing in the neighborhood of 40x45 or 50 inches. An animal theme was suggested, especially dogs, and I found a sweet panel online, and have just begun the design/piecing process for this one. Planning to see if there are any more ducks or geese fabrics in the ministry stash before finalizing anything, but my fabric pull from home stash is here.
So, that's a wrap for February's progress. Snow-rain-sleet storm is predicted for our end of the state tomorrow into Saturday. Depending on which weather model is used, we're supposed to get anywhere from 4-11 inches of snow. Time will tell, if it's as bad as they predict, there should be lots of quilty sewing time over the weekend.
Til next time, happy stitching!