Yesterday the sun finally showed its face again and I was able to take a few photos of the latest finish, the Black and White Triangles quilt. It needs a better name than that, please chime in with something that seems fitting as my mind is blank!
Not sure why but this quilt is incredibly heavy considering the large piecing, the usual 80/20 Hobbs Heirloom cotton/poly batting, and a one-piece wide backing. I should have weighed that backing fabric I guess. It will be a warm one for sure.
I machine quilted it with double lines across each triangle edge, but thinking it might need more. When my two big hand quilting projects are finally completed I might just get this back out and do some big stitch hand quilted circles in the middle of each triangle. What do you think? It is perfectly usable as it is now, and can be pressed into service when the grands come for their next overnight stay in the meantime. So maybe it's finished and maybe not ...
The backing. And here is a warning - I ordered this one from a well-known company, it "should" have been plenty large enough for this 80x80 inch quilt. But, rather than the advertised 108" width the fabric was barely 100 inches in width, and it had been cut 'straight' as it was folded on the bolt, but in fact I lost a good 18 inches of length due to its not being on grain when it was folded right off the loom. So, when layering and pinning the top, I had to angle it rather than having the backing straight across. Thankfully it appears fairly straight now that the quilting and binding are finished and it has gone through its first wash.
As usual my four-legged buddy accompanied me as we wandered around the yard for a few more shots. I think he's learned the art of posing for quilt photos!
Today was the last nice day before our next round of dreary rainy days and colder nights. Weather forecasters are calling for snow flurries in the higher elevations Saturday and Sunday night. We've had very little fall colors here, many trees just dropped their leaves without changing color at all, others turned brown rather than the typical bright reds, yellows and bronzes.
Last fall we had bought a bundle of three ears of Indian corn to hang next to the back door on the covered porch. They stayed there all winter and into late planting season this spring. Hubby decided to try an experiment and planted a row of the kernels along with some sunflowers along the garden fence. Well, the sunflowers grew tall but the Indian corn grew taller, with some stalks reaching at least 12 feet high, a couple might have reached 13-14 feet! The leaves were huge too. And the stalks bore ears of corn which we eagerly awaited to see if they would have the wonderful colors of the parent kernels. Checked a few ears in early September and were disappointed to see only whitish kernels at the top of the ears we tested. Hubby cooked a couple of those ears and tried eating them - very starchy! But today, lo and behold, some of the ears yielded pure gold! What a happy surprise, kind of like opening gifts on Christmas morning. These are our fall colors blessing this year!
Glistening like agates just tossed by the waves onto a beach .
I only opened four ears today, there are more waiting in the wheelbarrow to husk on another day. Some are quite small and probably won't yield much, but we're delighted with these and if we can get the kernels planted earlier next year, we may get a much better harvest to share and decorate the porch next fall.
And I'll leave you with the latest photo of Sammy in his favorite napping spot in the 'tent' created under the hoop stand holding my Quilty 365.
Til next time, happy stitching!