Friday, October 29, 2021

Catching up at the end of the month

Over the past few weeks I've been cutting 2 inch strips from a box of fat quarters and smaller pieces donated to our quilt ministry a few months ago.  This Tuesday the final rows of blocks were stitched into this top, now awaiting quilting after the new year.   This one measures 64x76 inches at the moment.  Not inclined to add a border at this point, but we'll see.

The inspector was on duty of course ...


Next up, another smaller start for the quilt ministry.  We had a bin of scrappy leftovers from two quilts made from an older line of fabric donated to us a couple years ago.  And we just received word of a tiny two-pound preemie just born to the niece of one of our church members.  Who should of course have a special quilt awaiting him when he is eventually discharged from the hospital, expected sometime around Christmas.  These are the first four blocks, each block will finish at 9 inches.  Planning to add a border or two after the blocks are assembled. What do you think - too dark, too much pink, or will it be ok for a baby boy quilt??  I'm never quite sure when not working with "kid" fabrics.


Then of course there's the monthly mini challenge which I've been very delinquent about.  When Janet O. at Rogue Quilter issued a challenge to all the mini-makers to create a mini from the contents of our baggie storage systems, I immediately thought of all the little sandwich bags stored in a couple of my swiffer boxes.  Retrieved two of those baggies, one with tiny flying geese, and the other containing the leftovers from a gaggle of tumbler mini blocks Janet had sent me a few years ago plus a bunch of miscellaneous 2-1/2 inch squares left from previous projects. Decided to tackle the tumbler baggie first, so I made a cardboard template from one of the tumbler blocks and proceeded to cut up all the squares to make more tumblers, and that's as far as I've gotten with my next mini.  Hopefully I'll be able to squeeze this project into November's schedule.  This plus the remaining hand quilted projects should be more than enough to keep me busy and avoiding any unnecessary housework for quite awhile!


Til next time, happy stitching! 


15 comments:

Janet O. said...

Your red and white log cabin quilt is such a classic!
To me the dark blue background fabric makes that perfectly acceptable for a tiny baby boy.
Oh, it does my heart good to see you making your baggie mini. I had forgotten all about those tumblers!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Love your log cabin. I agree with Janet - just fine and so cute for a wee little baby boy. Oooo tumblers, I bet that will be so pretty for your mini.

Paulette said...

Wow, your log cabin quilt is stunning! Love it! Baby quilt colors can trip me up sometimes too, but I think yours is just fine for a little boy.

Needledmom said...

Love your Log Cabin. I agree…..no border. The colors will be perfect for the tiny little guy. What a lovely Christmas present it will be to have him home!

FlourishingPalms said...

That log cabin quilt is classic, and will be a beautiful donation quilt. Do you label the quilts you give away? With your name? Or with your group's name? I'm at a loss with your boy quilt patches. If I'm seeing the blocks, it looks like there are some floral prints in there, right? That might be what's throwing me. The prints/colors look like Bonnie and Camille, and those strike me as feminine. (Sorry if that comes across as critical. I don't mean to be.) I love the Indian corn (Oh dear... can it still be called that?!) in your last photo. Did you grow it? The colors are beautiful!

audrey said...

Yeah, Log Cabin quilts don't always need a border. It looks so good 'as is'! And the preemie quilt is very sweet. I wouldn't worry about the pops of pink, they definitely are not the primary colors!

Kyle said...

Your log cabin is stunning. You know I love that classic combo. Baby tumblers from the baggie. Great choice!

Robin said...

Love the red and neutral quilt. I have so much red yardage in a stack. It is scraps because it is leftover from other projects but it's large pieces so it's folded and stacked instead of tossed into a baggie or box. I need to make good use of it and your quilt is quite inspiring.

Nancy said...

Your Log Cabin is so striking. Beautiful!
I love the autumn colors of your corn and pumpkins.

Angie said...

The red and "white" Log Cabin is stunning! Not sure it needs a border, either. Thanks for sharing more Indian corn and your colorful pumpkins!

QuiltGranma said...

Love all that red in your log cabin quilt. I've realized it is my favorite accent color! Love the kitty too, snuggle time!

Lizzy D said...

I love your corn and pumpkins. good crop!

The baby boy quilt looks fine to me.

And the red and white log cabin is beautiful, tho I hope the reds do not run. Stock up on Color Catchers.

I am not a fan of Tumblers, tho if we call the tiny ones thimbles then they appeal more. But I know yours will be adorable! Will you hand piece.

love

lizzy

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Oh that red and white just sings! So glad you found a "baggie" to work with. Can't wait to see all the baggie challenges. Fun!!

Barbara said...

It all looks great. I love red and white together.

Barbara said...

Red and white is always a winning combination and your quilt looks great! I think your blocks are perfect for a baby boy quilt :) You've got a good start on your Baggie mini. Can't wait to see what you do with all those tumblers. Beautiful autumn arrangement--especially like the Indian corn :)