Friday, November 12, 2021

Another baby quilt finish

 The baby quilt for the preemie is now finished and ready for gifting when I next see his great-aunt at church.  


I'm rather happy with how this design turned out, kind of modernish but the fabrics give it an old-fashioned vibe.  The quilt is backed and bound with an all-over print of happy children's faces, and you might notice there's a holiday theme involved, which I hadn't noticed for the longest time.  Funny how you can only see one aspect of a fabric, and completely miss the actual theme!   I chose to focus on the smiling faces, and suspect baby will too.



All of the fabrics came from our quilt ministry stash, and a couple readers may recognize some of them, having sent them from New Orleans and California - thanks again Angie and Lynn!

Happily we've had a few sunny days this week, though winter seems to be breathing down our necks with snowy days forecast for the weekend and well into next week.  Our immediate area is forecast to receive upwards of 5-6 inches - yuck.  The autumn oaks are fast losing their remaining leaves, and the larch trees, the last to show color around here, are turning a soft yellow.  

Another family of squirrels invasion, this time of the holiday sort, thanks to Marie at Quilt Bee blog, in the form of Christmas themed table toppers.  She indicated she had seen one on Pinterest.   Here's my first one under construction, awaiting borders


which I'll add later today

Easy-peasy, and will be perfect for a few of those little gifts we all want to have on hand for the season, or for our own use.  I'll make a couple more with the traditional red and green holiday fabrics, but also planning to try a version using some blues with white.  I'll mention here that those folded corners for the stars are SO easy using Doug Leko's Simple Folded Corners Ruler, and so much faster than drawing lines on squares before stitching.  No affiliation, just a happy user.   

Til next time, happy stitching!

13 comments:

Wendy Caton Reed said...

What a fabulous baby quilt! I love the pattern. It looks simple yet oh so graphic. Love it! Love the Christmas table topper too. I always say I am going to get an early start on Christmas, and then...

audrey said...

Yes, the baby quilt is a definite winner! Great colors and I love the scrappy vibe to it.:)

Hill Top Post said...

I would love to see those happy little faces up close. And, to see the darling little outfits the kiddos are wearing. What a fun quilt! Not the S word already! Wow, I guess I know what you will be working on. When the cold wind is blowing...I will be sewing.

Angie said...

Love the baby quilt and so happy to see the fabric put to use! Much better than having it sit in my closet forever. Cute table topper idea, might have to give that a whirl. Hope the snow is not too plentiful!

Quilting Babcia said...

If you click on the photo that shows just a corner of the backing you can see the happy faces in more detail. Yes, the "s" word is in the forecast pretty much every day now. Hoping for good weather and dry roads for Thanksgiving.

Kyle said...

Sweet baby quilt for that little one. The Christmas toppers will make great gifts. Sorry the snow is heading your way, but it'll might make a good sewing day ( or days)

Janet O. said...

That is a great baby quilt. I think it does have a vintage feel, in spite of what could be considered a modern design. Bold design and contrast--perfect for baby.
Those table toppers will be very thoughtful gifts.
I've never tried that tool for the folded corners. I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the info.

Lizzy D said...

I love your baby quilt. Interesting modern colors an design. The days of pastel baby animals etc quilts are gonne! You found a delightful alternative to grey.

What holiday is the backing? I couldn't discern.

I hope the baby thrives and can come home soon.

Folded corners is a new term for me. I looked on youtube, but remain baffled, lol.

Snow? Gibbs will be so pleased.

love

lizzy

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

A terrific baby quilt that can be loved for years. Such a nice finish and so nice that you could use your ministry's stash fabric. What a great idea, to keep a group stash like that. I tried to zoom in on the faces, can't really tell what holiday that would be. Just looks like a cheerful mashup of happy faces. A little table topper is nice at Christmas.

Nancy said...

What a fun quilt. I love the backing fabric! I think I have a very small piece of a similar print--probably enough for an eye spy block. That was a great choice to use as backing for a baby quilt. I can imagine it capturing the attention of a baby having tummy time.
Your star table topper looks very festive!

Needledmom said...

That’s such a great baby quilt and I LOVE the backing. Nice Christmas table toppers too.

Barbara said...

What a wonderful baby quilt! Love the way it turned out. Fun backing fabric for a little one to spend hours just looking. I can't get my head around Christmas yet but certainly enjoyed seeing your little table topper :)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on your quilt finish and that table topper in the making!