Monday, December 13, 2021

The Grand Finale!

So happy to report my Diamond Jubilee Quilt is finished!  Friday evening the final stitches were added to the binding, and that was that!  My hope was to finish this celebration quilt of my 75th year of life before year's end and as it turns out there's time to spare.  And it is aptly named "Stitched by an Aging Hand."  

The weather over the weekend was terrible with high winds and rain, though nowhere near what others in the south were experiencing.  We were fortunate not to suffer any wind damage beyond some branches down, closer to town there were huge old trees down along with power outages.  Anyway, though today is bright and sunny, it's still far too windy and muddy to attempt any outdoor photos, so these will have to do.

The only photo of (nearly) the entire quilt, taken before washing since I needed to use the small available floor space in our living room.  The day was dark and dismal, as reflected in the muted colors.

The next day was brighter, and after washing and a quick spin in the dryer I laid the quilt out on the guest bed to complete drying and more photos.


Three inches in both directions were lost in the quilting and initial washing process.  The final dimensions are 80x80 inches.


The hand quilting was pretty straightforward and simple.  I used a couple stencils in the blocks, some outlining and in the setting triangles and borders a simple 1-1/2 inch cross-hatch, using my favorite Aurifil 12 wt. thread.  

Tried marking the borders with Crayola washable markers though none showed up very well on that dark background, but I'm happy with the outcome.  And really pleased with how that vintage fabric brightened after washing. The next photo shows that fabric the closest to its true color.



The backing fabric is an older Edyta Sitar fabric, I think it is called Indian Summer.  It's been in my stash for several years and there was just barely enough to cover the back.  All the fabrics for this quilt came from stash or the scrap bins, and make-do was the order of the day when several of the block backgrounds required piecing smaller pieces to make the background square large enough.  


So happy to have this one finished!  My first post about making this was in May 2020 here.  I guess as larger quilts go, especially the hand quilted ones, this was finished fairly quickly.  Though it would have taken a week or two longer had I not come down with a cold and spent an entire week sitting in the recliner quilting the setting triangles/borders, since energy to do anything more strenuous was nonexistent.  I guess one can be thankful for a few sick days after all!



So there remains one quilt on my wish-list of finishes for the year - the Quilty 365.  Not going to happen, of course, though I've made considerable progress.  Next year for sure!  Still have the little Christmas table toppers to finish, and I really, REALLY want to have a mini ready this month for Janet's "baggie mini challenge."  

As far as Christmas goes, we pretty much realized a week ago that getting a full size tree this year was out of the question as hubby had a medical procedure coming up (which went well) and a general lethargy set in about any indoor decorating.  Still, while he was in the hospital I did get out a couple boxes and found these old calico Christmas trees.  The fabrics are all from 1982 or earlier, since my mom and I made these together while I was expecting my daughter and mom spent a couple weeks visiting us in Alaska that summer.  We ended up making five of these, and at least four of them are still around.  I have these two, and have used them every year since 1982. They've survived 8 moves, several of them cross country during that time!  




Til next time, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

23 comments:

julieQ said...

Your quilt is just absolutely gorgeous! I love it!

gladiquilts said...

Congratulations on a fabulous finish! Your quilt is gorgeous!!

Chantal said...

This is a masterpiece and the waiting to seeing it finished was well worth it. Fabulous! Worthy of a Blue ribbon. Congratulations. ;^)

Hill Top Post said...

Oh wow, your Diamond Jubilee Quilt is gorgeous…a masterpiece as Chantal said! Done with an aging hand, you say! YAy for those hands! How could this have been done any more beautifully!

Rebecca in AK said...

Your Diamond Jubilee quilt is absolutely gorgeous! I love it. You did a wonderful job on fabric selections and everything. Wonderful hand quilting too!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Wow, what an amazing accomplishment. Your Diamond Jubilee quilt is stunningly beautiful! I have enjoyed watching it evolve. The fabrics, the contrast, borders, everything. Congratulations on finishing it and I hope you really enjoy it!

Cathy said...

Congrats on the finish! It's a beauty! What a glorious way to celebrate 75 years. Happy birthday whenever that may be!

This is the second year I have not felt like doing any decorating. Haven't even touched the boxes of Christmas decorations in the attic. Hope mice don't have fun in the decorations!

Barbara said...

Stunning quilt. Absolutely gorgeous!

Paulette said...

Beautiful, stunning quilt! Congratulations on finishing this one!

Robin said...

Oh! Your quilt is so wonderful. Everything about it just sings. We are decorating a little less this year due to my husband's back. He's down a lot. But, I'm still quilting, that never changes. Again, such a beautiful quilt and finish.

Kyle said...

What a gorgeous finish. The quilt is so lovely and your quilting is perfect. Now you get to enjoy it!

audrey said...

This is so fantastic! Yay, you!! Love the quilting.:)

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Oh this quilt is so stunning! I love everything about it. You must be so happy to have it finished before year end. What a sensational accomplishment. And, there is always next year for Quilty 365. I enjoyed mine so much I am contemplating another one in 2022. I have seen quite a few photos lately of textile ornaments from the 1980's. Guess we are all feeling nostalgic! Your trees are wonderful!

Jan Hebert said...

Wow! Just WOW! I just love everything about this beautiful quilt! Your color choices and placement are perfect and your quilting! Such little stitches! I wish I was better at hand quilting. Some day! I look forward to seeing your Quilty 365, that's one I might try next year. Lots of plans for next year! I'm glad your husband's procedure went well. Jan in MA

kathiquilts said...

Congratulations on making your finishing goal - especially when the result is that incredible masterpiece! Well done you!

Angie said...

Congratulations on finishing your Diamond Jubilee Quilt - it's gorgeous! Thanks for reinforcing one of my 2022 quilting goals. I meant to start my own version of the Sunflower quilt in 2021 but I let t-shirt quilts distract me. I've decided it will be my first priority for 2022, so I'm going to save one of your pictures to my desktop as a reminder!

cityquilter grace said...

a stunning quilt...well done indeed...

Lizzy D said...

Your Jubilee quilt is stunning, gorgeous. And I love hat you still have and use your calico trees made with your mom. Merry Christmas!

love

lizzy

Needled Mom said...

Your quilt is absolutely gorgeous. Yay for meeting your goal too!

Janet O. said...

This is a jaw-dropper! Kudos to you--an heirloom for your family. I just can't get enough of it. I keep scrolling back up to look at it again. Love everything about it!
Oh, I remember working with some of the fabrics in your trees. It was quite the "soft sculpture" craze going on. I believe I did a soft-sculpture woven basket that may still lurk in the bottom of a Christmas tub somewhere. LOL
I really want to get a quilt made for my baggie challenge, too, Pat! We each need to get a move on, I guess. ;)

FlourishingPalms said...

My goodness! Your "Stitched by an Aging Hand" quilt is just lovely! Such a labor of love. I recognize that vintage navy-colored print with the small flowers. Must be from the 1970s-1980s, right? It's so nice that you could use-up stashed fabrics for all of this quilt. I love a good scrappy-type quilt that uses lots of prints. And you hand-quilted it too?! That makes it really special. Congratulations on such a nice finish! As for those fabric trees, they too look really familiar. Though I didn't make one, I had friends who did. I can understand their specialness for you, with memories of your mother and moving. Enjoy seeing them again. Have a wonderful lead-up week to Christmas!

Nancy said...

I thought I left a comment on this fabulous finish but I don't see it. What a positively magnificent quilt, Pat! The stitching of the blocks, the colors, the placement of the colors--everything about it makes for a truly beautiful quilt. Congratulations on finishing it this year.

Barbara said...

Congrats on a fantastic finish! I love everything about your quilt especially its scrapiness! What a beautiful family heirloom to be enjoyed by all. So glad you finished it before the end of the year :) Looking forward to Quilty 365 in 2022!