Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Rounding Out the Year with a Mini

 I finally have finished Janet's (Rogue Quilter) fall challenge to take a baggie of saved scraps and turn them into a mini quilt by the end of the year.  I finally located the photo taken of the actual baggie and contents, leftover mini tumbler blocks Janet had sent to me several years ago along with some miscellaneous mini charms that I cut into more tumblers.  

Here is the original mini made with the majority of Janet's tumblers a couple years ago.

And here is the latest mini, just completed last evening:


Janet's "rules" for this baggie challenge included allowing for one additional fabric plus one "neutral" to be added to our baggie's contents.  My "neutral" in this case just happens to be the blue stop border.  This little quilt just wasn't having any of the more traditional neutrals - cream, tan, light gray, etc.   The blue turned out to be perfect, though with less than a fat quarter it was a challenge to create a narrow binding, most of the binding strips were 9-11 inches long - 83 total inches needed.


A piece of blue that has been in the stash for quite a few years was used for the back.


A big thank you to Wendy at The Constant Quilter for rounding up the mini-makers each month, and to Janet for issuing this "baggie challenge."  There are more baggies  and swiffer boxes of scrappy pieces to keep me "challenged" for another year at least!

Wishing you all a new year filled with faith, love, peace, and good health.


16 comments:

Kyle said...

What a perfect way to end the year with the baggie challenge mini. I really like how it is a cousin to your first tumbler, but uniquely it's own personality. Placing the tumblers on the horizontal was a great idea. The blue little border and binding was the perfect choice. Wishing you a very Happy New Year!

Martha said...

That is SO SWEET!!! I love the colors of this one. Perfect end of the year challenge and you did awesome!!! Merry Christmas and a Very Happy and Safe New Year to you and your family!!!

gladiquilts said...

Lovely little mini! A “tumbler” quilt has long been on my “to do” list and maybe this will inspire me…..🙂

Needledmom said...

Nice finish for tumbling out of 2021!

Lizzy D said...

Adorable! I see why you needed that exact dark blue.

Hill Top Post said...

The blue really finished this one out beautifully. There is something about scrappy quilts that I love so much. Almost more than the originals. Take care and enjoy that first quilt of the new year.

Quilting Babcia said...

Scrappy quilts are my favorite too, and there are enough scraps here to keep me busy without ever touching my yardage stash. Probably for the rest of my life, lol!

Janet O. said...

You have done a wonderful job with your baggie of scraps. I remember when you got that baggie of tumblers, and loved the original quilt you made. Nice choices for your borders (and binding) and backing.
I am still working to finish my baggie challenge, and like you, I chose a color for my "neutral".

Barbara said...

Your baggie challenge mini is the sweetest. Tumblers are so appealing! The blue "neutral" was a perfect choice for the inner border and binding. Enjoyed seeing the first tumbler, too! Happy New Year!

Barbara said...

Sweet. Minis are so much fun. Isn’t it great when you can use a fabric you’ve had for a long time? Nice way to end the year.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

What a delightful way to end out this year of mini madness. I loved Janet's challenge and I am so pleased that she had so many participants. Yours is absolutely wonderful! Thanks for a fun year of minimaking! Happy New Year.

Angie said...

Cute tumblers, and the blue border makes a great frame! Happy New Year!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Your little tumblers are great and I love your wishes at the end of your post. Happy New Year!

Nancy said...

That's a great little quilt! Isn't it amazing how many inches of border or binding small quilts can require?!
I'm wishing you a Happy New Year, too!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I enjoy your posts very much. Beautiful little quilt meeting the challenge perfectly. A very Happy New Year to you.

Lady Locust said...

That is darling!