Wednesday, January 5, 2022

A Look Back and a Peek Ahead

2021 seemed like a hugely busy year, quilting-wise, though there were probably less finishes than in most previous years.  Probably a continuing trend as age creeps up on all of us.  I did complete six mini/small quilts, three baby quilts, two throw size and six bed size.  Four ended up being donated and two were gifted.  You can find all of them on the Page entitled "2015 and Later" just under the blog header.

Here are a few of my favorites from last year.

Sing the Blues Mama Lou

Stitched by an Aging Hand, my diamond jubilee quilt

Lady Sings the Blues - gifted

Black Magic

For 2022 I'm not setting a lot of goals but plan to just let the quilts ebb and flow as they dictate.  Of course finishing the oldest UFO - Quilty 365 is a priority, but beyond that, a few minis and donation quilts.  And absolutely no BOMs, sew-alongs, mysteries, or other entanglements that I'll feel guilty about abandoning or otherwise falling behind.  

After the long saga of hand quilting my diamond jubilee quilt I chose this little cutie to put into the hand quilting hoop for evening fun. 

I'm planning to set this one aside for a future great-grandbaby when it's completed.  No hurry with this one, just a few stitches every evening as time allows.


There appears to be no end in sight to the endurance test we've all been living through for the past couple of years.  Rather than choosing a "word" for the year, I'd rather stay with what I call Words for Living and mine has been the phrase Faith Over Fear.  Happy New Year!



21 comments:

Chantal said...

Faith Over Fear is a good phrase to live by. Love seeing again your great quilts from last year. I am not committing to anything with strings attached or deadlines. I'll fly from flower to flower as I wish. Here's to a wonderful year full of glorious quilts. All the best to you and yours. ;^)

Janet O. said...

Each of the finishes you share here is a beautiful creation. You know I am especially taken by that wonderful diamond jubilee quilt!
Your evening project is really cute--lucky future great-grandbaby.
I like your Words for Living!

Robin said...

Such wonderful finishes. It looks and sounds like you got a lot of quilty stuff done last year. If you're like me. . . even when you're not stitching, you're thinking about what's next. That should count too. That baby quilt is sweet and is probably a joy to work on in the evenings.

Kyle said...

Looking back at some of the quilts you completed last year, I'd say you had a very creative quilting year. I find myself less and less committed to a deadline and that feels so good.

Barbara said...

Beautiful work. I love all of them, but the baskets really make me smile.

Jan Hebert said...

I'd be very proud if I had completed even half of what you have this past year! I absolutely love your "future grandchild" quilt! And Faith Over Fear is so on point. I'm praying that the new strain is the last strain and things will get better soon. Jan in MA

gladiquilts said...

All your quilts are lovely, but the diamond jubilee is really special!

QuiltGranma said...

Do not be discouraged... ANY finish is better than none!

Angie said...

I loved seeing some of your 2021 favorites again - very inspiring! The baby quilt prints look adorable...and fun to hand quilt. Faith over fear sounds like a good way to face 2022! Happy New Year!

Needled Mom said...

You had a very productive year with some beautiful finishes. I like the phrase for the year. It’s perfect.

Quilting Babcia said...

Thank you Gladi! Looking forward to seeing your finished version.

Quilting Babcia said...

Not discouraged at all! Especially since quite a few of these were either entirely or partially hand quilted.

Quilting Babcia said...

Thank you so much! Happy New Year to you, I miss seeing your blog posts.

Lizzy D said...

Beautiful quilts! I am still in love w Mama Lou, maybe I will start mine some February snowday! And your Jubilee quilt is a masterpiece, so intricate and special. The last quilt, for ''someday'' is darling. May you have a safe and happy year ahead!

love

lizzy

audrey said...

You accomplished a lot!! Love your Diamond Jubilee quilt so much. Still a favorite of mine. Your Faith Over Fear is an excellent phrase. Fear really doesn't do any of any favors long term.

Nancy said...

Beautiful quilts, all, most especially your Diamond Jubilee. Gorgeous quilt! The grandbaby who receives your quilt-in-progress -- it has a French feel to me -- will certainly be a fortunate little one. Congrats on so many finishes!

Hill Top Post said...

To finish so many wonderful quilts was not for the faint-hearted. It really does take courage and dedication to become so proficient in any work. Your love for quilting comes shining through every one of these beautiful quilts. I am a little envious that I didn't get into quilting a long time ago. Now, it is too late to teach an old dog new tricks! So, I will just follow along with you and enjoy the work you do. I still really love "Black Magic."

Barbara said...

You had a very productive year! Loved seeing all your 2021 quilts in the tab under your blog header. Your Diamond Jubilee is my favorite but Lady Sings the Blues also calls out to me. The future great-grandbaby quilt that you are working on is charming :) Happy New Year to you and your family!

Rebecca in AK said...

So many pretty quilts completed last year! Still love your Diamond Jubilee quilt, it is just a beauty. Very cute baby quilt, good idea to have one on hand. Faith over Fear! Yes!

Quilting Babcia said...

It's never too late! Several of the ladies in our quilt ministry began quilting in their 70s, and are loving it. Your handmade dolls are so beautiful, it's a craft I'd love to try sometime though I don't know anyone near us who works in that medium who could teach me.

Barb said...

Wow what a wonderful collection of quilts!! You had a great year.
Your Diamond Jubilee is a masterpiece.
Looking forward to see what happens in 2022.