My one and only June finish, and just under the wire at that. Last binding stitches put in this morning, then out the door onto the deck we went for some photography on this fine and quite hot day. Without further ado, here is the vintage bowtie quilt I found partially completed at a small local estate sale last summer.
Anyway, back to the quilt. This was a bit difficult to hand quilt, owing to the very thick and dense poly batting the original quilter chose. Equally tough hand stitching the binding owing to the closely woven slightly heavy plaid that I chose to blend with the vintage fabrics! Broke one needle this morning while stitching one of the binding corners.
Having worked on this quilt off and on for several months now, my thinking is that this was a first quilting project of a fairly young and inexperienced girl. The hand pieced blocks are uneven and the stitch size varies quite a bit, and her set-in seams are often rounded or puckered. Her quilting stitches often did not penetrate through to the backing muslin and she generally left the quilting thread hanging and unknotted. I mended the worst of these areas but chose to leave the vast majority of the piecing just as she completed it, to reflect her efforts. Since it is not intended for daily use and most of the fabrics appear fairly sturdy, it should be just fine (I hope!).
I really love the vintage 1940s and early 1950s fabrics used for most of the quilt top. Many of them remind me of my mom's cotton housedresses and dad's pajamas. A few of the great variety of fabrics found in this top:
Wishing you all a happy and safe 4th of July weekend!