Wednesday, November 30, 2022

A Mini for November

 It's not Throwback Thursday, but today I'll share a mini quilt made several years ago, I believe before joining Wendy's wonderful Monthly Mini Roundup.

This is called simply Pieced from Lois's Scraps II.  

Over the years my friend Lois has brought little baggies of leftover pieces from various quilts she has made, and we issued a challenge for our quilt group to take some of the scraps, make a little quilt, then pass along the remainder from the baggie to someone else.  I think only one other person participated beside myself, and this is my favorite of the minis made from Lois's scraps.  There are also several full size quilts that I've made from her scraps and abandoned projects.

The cake stand blocks are made from her leftovers and I added the cheddar/gold fabrics from my own stash.  

The cake stand blocks are 4 inches and the finished quilt measures 16 inches square.  I hand quilted it in light yellow thread.


The back is from a feed sack.  A little easier to see the quilting here. The photo dates this little quilt to fall of 2018.  It has hung in our dining room since it was finished.

You can visit Wendy's blog at The Constant Quilter to find other lovely monthly minis posted on the last day of each month.  

A bit of snow in our forecast for tonight, but then warming again by weekend.  We have had an unusually warm November, and unlike other parts of western New York very little snow.  Yay for clear dry roads!

p.s.   I've had difficulty leaving comments on a number of blog posts lately.  I apologize for this but Blogger seems intent on making it more and more difficult all the time to be sociable with our blogging friends.  



13 comments:

Kyle said...

We were both thinking cheddar this month. Your baggie challenge turned out super cute. I've noticed that comments aren't showing up. Always something.

Barbara said...

Very cute. I think I remember from when you posted it the first time. (And I like that I can envision your dining room where it hangs.) It sounds as if your November might be warmer than ours. We had snow yesterday, and we’re expecting more later in the week.

Robin said...

What a wonderful little bit of November sunshine in your quilt. We got snow on Monday and we're supposed to get two more storms back to back. The mountains get about 12 inches per storm and we (on the other side of the valley) get
2 - 3 inches which is just fine.

Needled Mom said...

I love the cheddar. That is such an attractive mini.

Chantal said...

Lovely mini from pre-blogger. It's always fun to play with someone else's scraps, isn't it? Stay warm, stay dry. ;^)

Barbara said...

This was the perfect mini to make using little scraps. Basket blocks are so appealing and these are the sweetest :) We've had some really strong winds yesterday and today with a dusting of snow. At least it's not in the single digits--yet!

Nancy said...

What a sweet little quilt. I continued to be amazed at the abilities of quilters to make such small blocks, especially when there are so many pieces!
Blogger has been difficult lately as far as comments. Sometimes it won't let me sign in to Google on a blog; other times it won't let me comment at all. So very strange. And I always wonder if the problem is Google (probably) or how the blogger has set up her comments. I hope there are not problems with my blog, but how would I know?!
Are you in lower western NY or upper western NY? My husband grew up in Gouverneur, two hours north of Syracuse. They got lots of snow and cold temperatures.

Janet O. said...

Love the story behind this little charmer. It is so fun working from someone else's scraps, isn't it? :)
You made a very sweet, happy little quilt from Lois' scraps!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Oh my! You have managed to combine my favorite color with one of my favorite patterns! Thanks for another great monthly mini! I love it!! And, yes of course other people's scraps are always more fun than my own!!

QuiltGranma said...

This darling baby needs a name, a label and date of "birth" when completed. Including the story would be wonderful in the label too. Keeping us in stitches with your beautiful baby!

audrey said...

Love the little baskets on this classic. I'm sure you're not the only one having problems leaving comments. They are down everywhere it seems! I almost think Blogger wants to just slowly shrink the life out of blogging until people give up on their own accord.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

I think I'm having the same issue with Blogger. Your mini is fab, love the cake stand blocks and they look so good with the cheddar.

Barb said...

what a sweet mini. I love your color combination! The quilting is just right - what a special mini