Tuesday, November 29, 2022

A November Finish

Finished on Friday, gifted on Sunday to a church member about to undergo major surgery, this is the simple Autumn Squares quilt, for lack of a better name.

I quilted it very simply, stitch in the ditch on all the squares, then diagonal serpentine lines in all the narrow strips and across the squares.  

It has been difficult to find time to sew this year, but yesterday I finally had an NBS (nothing but sewing) day and have nearly finished the sawtooth star border on the historic medallion quilt.  No photos until the top is complete, at this point it is about 63x63 inches.  I'd like to add one or two additional borders to bring it up to at least 70 inches wide, or perhaps 72x80 inches, which will make it a good usable size.  

In the meantime a few more photos of the Autumn Squares finish.


The back, which didn't photograph very well.  It is actually a soft golden buttery yellow print.  Selvedge is marked Jane Word 1996 for Fabrics by Spectrix.  I had never heard of that company, have you?



We had a lovely Thanksgiving at our younger daughter's home, and are currently enjoying lots of turkey leftovers as I made a turkey breast with all the trimmings on Sunday afternoon.  I love a few days of just heat-em-up meals, don't you!?

I'll try to be back tomorrow with a mini quilt - an older one from before I joined Wendy's Monthly Minis Group.  Til then, have a lovely day!




7 comments:

Robin said...

Your Autumn Squares quilt turned out great. The fall colors are just perfect and the quilting design gives it a lot of movement.
I was looking at my stack of finished quilts this week and wondered who I could give one or two to. The name that came to mind was my very elderly aunt. I picked out one of the quilts, washed it to get the excess dyes removed, and let it finish drying spread out on my sofa. I found out today that she passed away last Saturday. Funny how things sometimes happen.

Chantal said...

Wonderful simple quilt. It looks so warm, because of its colours? Due to the quilting? I don't know but it looks like a wannabe plaid and that makes it great. I love it! Congratulations! ;^)

cityquilter grace said...

pretty and no doubt ultra comforting quilt!

Kyle said...

What a comforting quilt for someone undergo surgery. The fabrics look like flannels. Glad you got to enjoy a sew day. We all need that every once in a while especially, with no cooking!

Barbara said...

Beautiful quilt. When I saw it, I thought of argyle socks. It will be so nice for your friend, and a very thoughtful gift.

Needled Mom said...

I love this! It may be “simple”, but it is very striking in those colors.

Nancy said...

This looks like a cozy, comforting quilt just right for late autumn. I'm sure the recipient will find comfort in using it.
So glad you had a good Thanksgiving. I love leftover turkey and the trimmings. I think I would have been like you if we hadn't had the turkey here.