Thursday, October 20, 2022

Fall - going, going, but not yet gone

Once again, it's been a while since I've posted, and things probably won't change much for the foreseeable future.  But all is mostly well here, except for our continued lack of energy post-covid.  

We've had a spectacular autumn display of color in this part of the state. One of the best years since we returned to WNY.  I'll share a few photos taken a couple weeks ago on a somewhat hazy afternoon, just before an expected rainy spell.  At that time the maples were near peak.  Now they have faded and the more subtle hues of maroon, golds and bronzes of the oak forests have taken over.  I think I almost find the more subdued colors more inviting, there's a special softness about them that sings to my heart. 

So, without further ado, a few scenes from our yard:








I typically don't do much if any decorating for the season inside the house. Thinking on why that is, I came to the conclusion that it's because this house exudes autumn all year long  Many of the walls are paneled in knotty pine , the drapes are a small bittersweet hued check, and the somewhat eclectic furnishings are mostly antique or vintage pieces from family or local thrift/vintage shops.   We did pick up a few small gourds on our recent trip to our favorite old barn/farm stand to stock up on plenty of winter squashes, etc.  Earlier this summer we received a gift of 'fruit of the month' and the first shipment arrived packed in a little wooden crate too lovely to discard, so it was pressed into service as an autumn gourd backdrop.


More hickory nuts and a few bright leaves have been added since the photo was taken, and then today while cleaning up the side yard my husband brought in the last two sunflowers, tiny, now in a little bud vase until they fade.



Shall we talk quilting now for a bit?  I'm still plugging along, however slowly, on the historic panel challenge.  Long since gave up any hope of having it completed by the November deadline, I'm just concentrating on enjoying making each block as time permits.  Here are a few of the latest sawtooth stars that will eventually be added all around the center panel.


The quilt is quickly outgrowing the design wall.  




Thinking this quilt may eventually go to our second grandson, who just completed his Army basic training this week.  But we'll keep it here for awhile first, until he's settled a bit more in life.  Hard to believe he's all grown up now, seems like yesterday he was a toddler learning to throw spiral passes to his dad when he was just 2 years old!  He hasn't given up his love of football in the meantime, and played every year of junior and senior high school.  How time flies.

Til next time, hope all is well with each of you!


14 comments:

Lizzy D said...

I love seeing your trees and mountains, your creek, your woods. The dried teasels are very cool, I d be snipping them to fill a crock. You home sounds lovely.

The crate is perfect to show off your gourds, fun keeper.

And your Historic Panel quilt is beautiful. I agree it's best to enjoy the process. And best wishes to your grandson, you must be very proud of him as he serves his country.

love

lizzy

Kyle said...

What lovely fall displays of Autumn's beautiful colors. We've had an exceptional fall here too. Your Americana panel quilt design is wonderful. Perfect colors and who doesn't love sawtooth stars as a border. Enjoy your stitching whenever you can.

Robin said...

Ahhh! You panel quilt is just perfect. The red background star fabric border is just right. I remember that print, it is in a number of my quilts. I'd still use it if I had any left. Glad you are having a lovely fall.

Chantal said...

Lovely pictures! Thanks for sharing with us. Unfortunately, I wasn't fast enough this year to take pictures of my place and now it is almost all gone. Love your table display of gourds. The crate is just the right side too. Love your panel quilt too. The uneven stars on top are just perfect. He will cherish this one, I'm sure. ;^)

Needled Mom said...

The autumn colors are spectacular. The little crate looks so festive with the gourds. Beautiful quilt in the works there.

Nann said...

The autumn colors have been spectacular here in northeastern Illinois, too. Are we noticing things more these days? (One of the positive long-term effects of this pandemic period. (I almost said "era" but that implies that it will go on even longer.) The panel challenge quilt looks wonderful. I do like those soft reds, blues, and tans. (And my stash attests to that liking.)

Barbara said...

So glad the leaves were spectacular in your part of the state, too! What's left here are lots of golds and yellows. Your gourd display is so sweet. I don't do much fall decorating either but I should do something with a huge wooden bowl that I used to fill with all sorts of "nature goodies." Love stars as the next border surrounding your panel. When your quilt is finished it will be the perfect gift for your grandson :)

Angie said...

Hi Pat! I'm far behind in my blog reading, but I couldn't let your post go by without a comment. Thank you for sharing the fall colors pictures! As you can imagine, we don't get much changing leaf color here (a little, but not much), so I always enjoy seeing what my friends and family in the northern climes are experiencing. Your patriotic medallion quilt is looking good. The "antique" colors have just the right pop and zing! I look forward to seeing the finished quilt - whenever that may be!

Nancy said...

I'm so sorry you're still dealing with Covid side-effects. For me, the tiredness was the longest-lasting of them and I sometimes think I'm still feeling it.
Your home is situated in such a beautiful area. You have amazing views from your yard! I would agree that you probably don't need much autumn decorating.
Your historic quilt is wonderful. I love the colors you've chosen, how you've used borders, and I think the stars are the perfect next border. You have a great eye for colors.
How fast time flies makes me sad. I so wish I could pause it for a while to enjoy people and things just as they are for a little longer.
I hope you keep feeling a little better each day. I know it's probably not noticeable from one day to the next, but maybe look back a month you've seen progress (as far as the tiredness).

Paulette said...

Your panel quilt is coming along so well! It's gorgeous! Love seeing your fall scenery. It's been a very colorful year here too, and aside from the morning we woke up to snow on the ground a couple weeks ago, it has been delightful mild this far into the season. I'll take it! Hope the post-Covid fatigue gets better day by day.

cspoonquilt said...

Your Fall pix are wonderful! And I love your Historical challenge quilt! That is a wonderful panel. So hard to find one that really looks authentic! Happy Fall!

Janet O. said...

I really enjoyed the glimpses of fall in your area. My first trip to New England in the fall was about 14 years ago, and took us through New York. I recall that the colors were beautiful. Upon returning home I realized we have the very same colors, just not as dense in the deciduous tree department. How lucky to have such views.
That is a beautiful little table display of the bounties of fall.
You are really doing up the panel challenge extremely well! I am so impressed with all of those little squares, and now a border of stars--wow! This is going to be a special quilt!

Binsa said...

I love your fall colours so different here in Australia

Barb said...

Oh your panel is coming out great! Love your colors.
Pretty fall photos -
Happy Early Thanksgiving