Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Thoughts on a New Year and a New Decade

Jenny of Elefantz recently posted a scripture that deeply resonated with me, causing me to reflect on this, the beginning of a 9th decade that I've been on this earth (though my first decade was only four years in length).  So many quilters choose a word to reflect their aspirations for the new year.  Where better to find a word than from The Word.

"The righteous flourish ...
planted in the house of the Lord; they flourish in the courts of our God.
They still bear fruit in old age;
they are ever full of sap and green."
Psalm 92:12-14 

And there it is - flourish.  Even with advancing years, fading vision and stiffening joints, we can still bear fruit.  Through our words, our actions, and our faith, we can continue to live abundantly and to bless others with the work of our hands.  And though our stitching may at times stray from perfectly even and straight, our seams occasionally a bit wobbly, we can still bear fruit through the quilts we make and give, that can bring comfort and warmth to a friend or stranger who needs to feel a bit of love during a time of loss, illness or distress.   

So this year my hope is to want less and give more, to focus on what is real and true and not the chaos that surrounds us, to appreciate the little things that make a life - to flourish

And, because this is a quilting blog and quilting blogs need photos, here's a sneak peek at what's been happening in my very messy sewing room today - and, no, I'm not planning to spend a week organizing - gave up those kind of resolutions years ago -it's futile anyway!


Looking a bit Christmasy you say?  Hmm.

Wishing you a happy, healthy, and joyful New Year!

13 comments:

Lizzy D said...

Dear friend, may you and your quilts flourish always, not just this year but throughout your life.
I love that you're snot spending a week cleaning!And that you acknowledge it's a waste of time. We are indeed kindred spirits, tho I would never aspire to flourish, I'll be happy with each day instead, as the year comes and goes. Best wishes and love

lizzy

---"Love" said...

I had posted a blog post just the minute before I came to your blog, and what a message you gave me; one that I really needed! Thank you so much! I will 'try' to flourish a lot more than I did in 2019! ---"Love"

Debbie said...

Thank you, sweet friend. May your life flourish to excess to those around you. This post is right on and I am sure will touch many, as it did me. I am so grateful for you and your prayers. May your fingers be less stiff and your eyes brighter today. Hugs.

Ruth said...

I have been following Jenny and her blog is very inspiring. I am thinking about making her BOM Psalms 23 book this year. It looks like something I might be able to complete.

Chantal said...

That's a lovely post. Food for thoughts. Thank you. Wishing you a blessed New Year, may good health be with you always. ;^)

Kyle said...

I love the simplicity of those red hst's. No reorganization for me either and yes, may we continue to bear fruit no matter the decade.

Barbara said...

Okay now you scared me with that 9th decade remark, and I thought...really? She can’t be 90! But then I got what you meant. Okay...that means I’m in my 8th decade, and let me just tell you...counting decades is no way to ring in the new year. But I do like you’re little quilt.

Hill Top Post said...

I have done the math and we have to be the same age! Now, I really am going to be inspired by you and your work! I love the reds in your new work! Red is good twelve months out of the year, I think!

audrey said...

I love your word for the year! I think I inadvertently used it in my latest post! Not as the word of the year, I don't really do that anymore, but just in general conversation. It's a great word.:)

Quilting Babcia said...

Hehe, I thought we might be a similar age. You're right about the reds, they were my favorite color when I was little. There are many more HST's where these came from. Stay tuned.

cityquilter grace said...

delightful post, wise words and heartfelt joy!

FlourishingPalms said...

Did you know... this is "my" Bible verse. It's the one I used to name my blog 11 years ago. Though the Bible verse itself has meaning, I couldn't overlook the double-meaning of using my hands (palms) to create (flourish). Thank you for a good reminder of what we're meant to be and do.

Nancy said...

I'm so far behind in my blog reading. I hope you are flourishing, Pat. What a great message!
I love your red and white triangle squares. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with these.