Friday, January 31, 2020

A January Finish

The end of January already, and it turned out to be a rather productive month.  The quilt I started for my friend is now finished, ready to be gifted as soon as they can safely descend from their mountaintop home (the warmer weather has made their old logging trail impassable due to mud).   Anyway, here it is, looking not so different from the top posted earlier, just finished.


Machine quilted with the simple meandering leaf and loop design we learned in our first 2012 FMQ Challenge lesson.  Still one of my favorites because I can actually keep the meander going for a bit before running into a corner or border!

The piano key borders are ditch quilted, no close-ups, my free-motion was pretty shaky on those! At least the thread blended well with the darker colors so they're not too obnoxious (or obvious) I hope.

The batting was a cotton Pellon from JoAnn.  Shrinkage was more than acceptable in my opinion, and I won't use it again.  Unquilted top was 51 x 70; finished and washed once in cold water delicate cycle and partially dried on delicate cycle, the finished size is now 66 x 48-3/4".   Four inches in length on a 70 inch quilt seems out of line somehow.  Especially since it wasn't quilted heavily. Live and learn, I guess.

Til next time, sunny days and happy quilting!



9 comments:

Julierose said...

Lovely finish on this gift!;)) I really like that piano key border--great colors hugs, Julierose

Wendy Caton Reed said...

It came out beautifully. I love the piano key border! And, that is the most shrinkage I have every heard of. Thanks for the warming on the batting.

Barbara said...

That turned out so pretty. Your friend is going to love it.

Kyle said...

What a wonderful gift for your friend. The meandering leaf quilting design was a perfect choice. Wow! That was really an unacceptable amount of shrinking. Thanks for info.

Janet O. said...

Very nice finish! Kudos to you on the piano key border. That is something that I think adds a great deal to a quilt, but I am always way too lazy to actually make one.
That is a great backing fabric, too!

Hill Top Post said...

If your friend knows this oh-so-gorgeous quilt is waiting for her, she will find a way to get off that mountain! I love everything about this quilt - the piano key borders, your leaf and loop design, and the backing fabric. What a beauty!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

I'm sure your friend will like this quilt - and it has a "mountain" feel for sure. That's a lot of shrinkage, but it looks great and I love the border!

Quilting Babcia said...

Thank you so much for your sweet comments. She did love it, they were able to come for supper yesterday and she received it then.

sewyouquilt2 said...

Beautiful quilt, beautiful gift