Friday, January 3, 2020

One Monthly Goal - January Link-up

Here we are at day three of the new decade and my quilting plans for the next week are already derailed, but in a good way.  A quick comfort quilt is in the works for a  friend who is making a good recovery from recent surgery.  I'll post more about that when there is something substantial to show.


Meanwhile, I'm planning to participate in  Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal again this year.  It's such a great motivator and Patty does a fabulous job coordinating everything each month.  Kudos to her!!

For January, I'm hoping to complete the hand quilting of the remaining blocks of my Westering Women quilt, and to at least begin quilting the edges of the borders.  I think there's a good chance of achieving this as it is big stitch quilting.  I'm really looking forward to completing this quilt soon as it's the first time I've used wool batting and it would be nice to give it a good test run before spring!

A couple photos of yesterday's progress.  This first one is under the daylight lamp I use while hand quilting in the evening.


The colors are a little more true, only slightly darker than actual, in the ambient room lighting of this second photo.

You can check out everyone's January goals here.   Thanks for coordinating the One Monthly Goal again this year Patty!

10 comments:

Chantal said...

Good luck with your goal. Westering Women is on my list of UFOs. It's nice to see it again on your post. Enjoy! ;^)

Barbara said...

Well, good luck with your goal. I’m participating too, focusing on small projects while we’re traveling.

Hill Top Post said...

Every time you post pictures of your Westering Women quilt, I love it even more. Not only do I love the quilt but the stories that go with it. (I did research!) How wonderful it would be to snuggle under that beautiful quilt on a cold winter's night. Is the quilting more difficult with wool batting?

FlourishingPalms said...

It looks lovely, Pat! A Baptist fan is always a good choice for quilting. I feel confident in your ability to meet your goal, and wish you the best. Enjoy the process.

Quilting Babcia said...

Thank you, I'm loving how the wool batting is adding so much loft to the quilt. I'm finding the wool much easier to quilt too, it needles beautifully, like a hot knife through butter. Easy on the hands and wrist joints.

Janet O. said...

Baptist Fans is one of my favorite quilting pattern. Looks so good on your quilt. Cheering you on to meet your goal!

Patty said...

Pretty. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

Nancy said...

Your quilt is beautiful, especially the Baptist Fans. Do you mark them before quilting? I'm interested to hear what you think of the wool batting. Earlier this year my local JoAnn had 80% wool/20% king size poly battings for $20.00. I'd been wanting to try them about bought one. When I went back a few weeks later, they were still there so I bought another. I hear wool is easy to quilt so I hope I like these ones I bought!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Oh, how I love that Westering Women quiclt; and hand quilted(!), all the better. Best wishes for a happy new year.

Lizzy D said...

Your WW and its quilting are beautiful. I see you have subbed or added blocks? It was such an interesting project, wasn't it.

I only tried wool batting once and my quilter refused to use it. The batt weighed a ton so I agreed, but that was years ago. I'll be interested to know what you think and if you wash it, will it need special care etc. I wanted to use silk batting in my Bitty quilt, but it was marked ''Hand Wash, lie flat and shape to dry''---not functional for a crib quilt I so hope will be loved, used, and washed a lot!

love

lizzy