Sunday, December 29, 2019

Last of the Christmas Makes and a December Mini

Christmas came almost faster than my stitching could keep up,  and these last two little projects were each finished the evening before being gifted - just in time! 

A set of potholders for my daughter-in-law, whose favorite color is green.

And for the second, you'll just have to use your imagination as I apparently neglected to get a photo of the finished set.  They started out as these two prototype arrowhead blocks from a few months back. The finished potholders have a coordinating green fabric border and binding.  For one of my step-daughters who also happens to love green.

You might say that all my December projects are minis, but here's the real thing, for Wendy's (The Constant Quilter) monthly mini challenge -- gifted on Christmas Day to my son. 


This was the best photo I was able to obtain of the finished quilt.  The hand quilting just did not show up very well in any of the photos, but mostly consisted of outlining the major elements in each fabric slab, and echoing the butterflies and pine tree sashiko in the indigo borders.  I didn't want to risk stretching the bias edges on the triangular pieces so this was quilted without use of a hoop, more difficult than I thought it would be, but the quilt hangs fairly straight and he loved it, and that's what counts. 

And that brings my 2019 quilting adventures to a close.  Thanks so much to all of you who read this little blog and leave encouraging comments.  You are appreciated, more than you know.  And for those readers who are "no-reply" commenters, if you would like a response, please include your email in your comment so that I can add your address to my contacts list. 

On to the new year, and a new decade!

11 comments:

Debbie said...

Great end to the year. All things great and small make our world bright!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Wow! I absolutely love it. I can just imagine your son's reaction when he opened this little gem. It is so beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing so many wonderful minis this year. I was going to post tomorrow, but we are expecting a big storm and may lose power and internet so I will post today. Have a Happy and quilt filled New Year!

Kyle said...

What a beautiful quilt for your son. It's very artistic with the gorgeous fabrics and the sashiko quilting is lovely. It's a perfect gift and a wonderful finale for 2019.

FlourishingPalms said...

I love that you made pot holders. They're so cute, and practical! I definitely need to keep this idea in mind for my own future gift-making. And I'm so glad your son likes the lovely quilt you made. Taking the time to hand-quilt it makes it even more wonderful. Good for you to do so without a hoop. My current hand quilting project is big stitch quilting cross-stitches on a large quilt, and the YouTube video I watched, shows Jen Kingwell quilting without a hoop. If she can do it, you and I can do it! Happy new year, my friend!

Barbara said...

Your son’s quilt turned out just perfect. Nice end to the year.

audrey said...

The quilt for your son is absolutely incredible. I can only imagine what it looks like close up with the hand quilting texture. Great job finishing up! And the potholders are a fun, personal gift. I have been bemused that my mom still uses the ones I made for her last year. Makes it very worthwhile in this day and age of cheap, disposable gift items.

Hill Top Post said...

What wonderful gifts! Your son's quilt turned out beautifully. I surely would like to see the sashiko stitching for real. I love that you were able sew faster than the clock and have the gifts ready for giving. I hope you have a wonderful New Year!

Sandy said...

That is one cool quilt! The fabrics are gorgeous, and you did a stunning job of creating something unique and beautiful. Bravo! And Happy New Year!

Barbara said...

Oh my goodness! What a wonderful quilt for your son. The whole composition is striking and the sashiko embroidery makes it extra special :) Cute little potholders, too! Happy New Year!

QuiltGranma said...

Love that quilt for your son.

Quilting Babcia said...

Thank you! The sashiko stitching was fun, and I have a lot to learn. I want to do more of it in future quilts too.