Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Fractured Fabric

As mentioned a while back, I've been wanting to make my son a Japanese-inspired quilt since he has been interested in all things Japanese since high school.  Last week I finally gathered the courage to cut into several small pieces of yukata and indigo fabrics I'd gathered, as well as a treasured piece of tenegui from Tokyo (thanks Cynthia!), and have a go at this project.

I was lucky enough to find a used copy of the late Kitty Pippen's book Quilting with Japanese Fabrics and fell in love with her style and the many gorgeous quilts she created over her lifetime, most all made after her retirement until she passed away last year just short of her 99th birthday.  I wish I had been one of the fortunate ones to have taken classes from her.


One style element she often used she called "fracturing" - cutting a series of 60 degree triangles of patterned yukata fabric and resewing them with diagonal bands of solid fabrics between, in an asymmetrical arrangement to create movement.  In other quilts she worked with rectangular pieces, which of course would have been a better choice for a rank amateur with spatial dyslexia and no geometry background.  Guess which one I attempted.

Following are a few photos of my daily progress over the past week or so.

The original fabric pull, half of which were set aside when construction began

Day 1, not much progress here

Day 2

Days 3-4

Day 5, starting to look better but still missing "something"

Day 6, Top border added and also the missing "something" - can you spot it?

Day 7, Bottom border added, top completed, 24x34 inches.

I made a first attempt at sashiko embroidery stitching on the top and bottom borders.  I'd expected it to be easier than it was, considering I've hand quilted for years.  Definitely a new skill to be learned, but fun!

The backing fabric will be this Ameritex Japanese style print that has been sitting in my stash for at least ten years, and I suspect sat in someone else's stash for years prior to that.  My guess based on internet research is that it dates from the 1970s or 80s.  I love it, and happily there are still a couple yards left.

The seams have all been ditch quilted by machine and hand quilting was started this morning.  Hoping to have this completed by Christmas for early gifting to my son.  It's meant for his January birthday, but Christmas is when he can open it while we're together.  Hope he likes it!

Meanwhile there are a few more pieces of Japanese fabric in my stash and I'm smitten. This one was a huge challenge, but gotta say, so far I've loved every minute of making this one.

Hope you're having some fun in your sewing room this week.  And don't forget to visit all the blogs in Lori's Humble Quilts Holiday Favorites Blog Hop going on this week!  Lots of inspiration to be found there.

10 comments:

Kyle said...

I hope you don't stop with just one quilt with this new style. Your son's quilt is fantastic. Love the colors and the fractured elements. Keep going.

Hill Top Post said...

You are "smitten" with a good thing here, I think! You seem to have a real talent for this! I love the fabric and the quilt! You definitely need to be present when you son opens this present!

Lizzy D said...

The fractured cutting, re-piecing is lovely. It creates a sort of visual planes and dimensionality.

lizzy

Debbie said...

What a neat technique! It truly blends those fabrics so well. Know your son will love and appreciate your effort for him. That backing fabric is fabulous.

Barbara said...

Wow...that’s so pretty! I love the Sashiko too. It’s essentially a running stitch, right?

Quilting Babcia said...

Thank you! This was so much fun, I'll definitely be trying more in the future.

Ruth said...

I love what you have done! Very creative - it does reming me a little of crazy quilting, but with less craziness! My granddaughter & her DH want to move to Japan. Don't know if or when it will ever happen. She loves handwork and is starting to do shasiko.

Nancy said...

Your block looks great, Pat. (I can't tell how big it is -- maybe it's quilt size?) This is an interesting method of making a quilt and blocks, one I've not seen before. It looks very challenging, especially aligning some of those blocks, and I think you've done very well. Who am I to talk, since I know nothing about it, but I think it looks great!

FlourishingPalms said...

I fixed my Blogger posting problem! When using Safari browser to comment, be sure that Safari settings have turned off “prevent cross-site checking”... on both the computer AND cell phone. I think this comment will now post! Love seeing what you’re doing with your Japanese fabrics too. I had a good play with them in the early 1990s.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Wow, it's looking great!! And your sashiko is marvelous - looks great to me! I'm sure your son will love this quilt!