Monday, October 1, 2018

OMG for October

OMG October Link-Up is OPEN!



All year I've been reading others' posts and link-ups to Elm Street Quilts OMG posts, and this is a perfect month to jump in too with my first official OMG.  Not that I haven't set goals in the past, but this one seems especially important to me and maybe a bit more accountability might get the job done!  That, plus I'll be having cataract surgery on both eyes in November, so not much will probably be accomplished for at least 2-3 weeks then.

It was early September of 2015 when I began cutting pieces for what finally became this flimsy in late February of this year!

I had been drooling over this particular quilt since first seeing the photo of the inspiration quilt in the Fall 2010 issue of Quilt Sampler.  I followed the pattern and color scheme closely.

Though the photos don't show it, there are two very different black tone-on-tone and prints in the quilt.  Anyway the machine quilting was started shortly after finishing the top, but came to a halt during the summer months when the church camp benefit auction quilts took up all my time.

My goal for October is to, at the very least, complete the quilting and perhaps as a bonus get the binding added.  A finish would make my month!  The setting and corner triangles should be completed later today, and then work on the five borders can be started.  Not a trivial task, at least for me, as this  quilt measures 91 inches square! 

Linking up with Patty at Elm Street Quilts.  Wish me luck!

10 comments:

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wow, your quilt is a beauty! Beautiful colors, perfect for Fall 😉

Kyle said...

This quilt is absolutely stunning. The quilting will add another wonderful dimension. You've always been good at meeting your goals. I'm sure you'll get this one done too before your eye surgery.

Chantal said...

I fell in love with this quilt too when you first blog about it. It is a stunner! Good luck with your goal. ;^)

Debbie said...

What an amazing project. You have really gotten so far along. Working with that much black is always a challenge and then to realize the cataracts are dimming things even more. You've done well! Praying you get it to the point of finish this month. The surgery will only slow you a bit.....you will come thru great!

Patty said...

Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project!Welcome to OMG! I'm glad you joined - that is a beautiful quilt.

Barbara said...

It’s an absolutely gorgeous quilt. I’ll be rooting for you to finish too. Good luck with your surgery. I’ve known several people who’ve had that surgery (including my dear FIL). Each one has been happy with the results, but it does take some time to recover.

Pat said...

That is a show stopper! The design, the colors - everything...beautifully done. Wishing you all the best with the surgery. I had both eyes done and was so impressed with how quickly the procedures went and how fast your eyes adjust...be prepared...as quilters, colors will be even more fabulous to work with. (The one negative - I could see how dusty my house had gotten - lol)

Cathy said...

Such a beauty! It glows. Good luck on your goal!

Janet O. said...

Such rich, lush Fall colors! Must be nice to work on at this time of year. I wish you well with your goal!

Sharon - IN said...

That is a gorgeous quilt! Good luck on finishing your first time posting your OMG!