Friday, October 26, 2018

Sajou, Parts 2 and 3 - the completed flimsy

Lori threw us a bit of a curve when Sajou went from Part 1
to Part 2 - with the center on point!

Thankfully, subconsciously I must have been thinking this might happen as I had oriented my central bird to 'sort of' work in both positions.  Then the dilemma began.  I had hoped to use some of that center fabric again in the project, but where?  My thought had been to incorporate it into the outermost border, but now another opportunity presented itself.  What to do, what to do?

So, it ended up here, in Part 2.  Then, along came part 3, which I loved when I saw Lori's version.  Hard to believe that after making quilts for over 30 years I had never before done a border with this triangular configuration.  After choosing fabrics and carefully cutting triangles, I began stitching them together last Saturday. And ripped.  And stitched.  And ripped.  And stitched.  And ripped.  Arggh!  No matter how I tried to align them the points were going to be haphazard and look terrible.  At that point after a few tears and muttered mumblings, I went back at it, and after 8 hours (yes, 8 hours) I finally had the border added.  Then later that evening I found my Fons and Porter triangle point trimmer thingies in the bottom of my templates drawer - yeah, should have remembered them eight hours earlier!  Lesson learned.

Anyhoo, I bring you Part 3, the flimsy!

And I have to say, even after all the angst, I love this little top!  Then I went looking for a backing and found this, which looks perfect to me

So now Sajou is all layered and awaiting hand quilting, hopefully to begin next week.  Still deciding whether to ditch the major long seams by machine before beginning the hand work.  I think it might stabilize the quilt a bit, so I'm leaning toward doing that.  Also deliberating on whether to attach the binding to the front of the quilt to help stabilize the edges of those triangles.  When I began quilting many years ago I generally attached the binding before the quilting was completed but haven't done that for years.  What could possibly go wrong?!

Linking up with Lori's linky party at Humble Quilts.  Enjoy the show, there have been a LOT of very inspiring versions popping up on the Humble Quilts Facebook group and I'm looking forward to seeing even more on the linky party.

15 comments:

Barbara said...

Well, it turned out beautifully. Sometimes they can be unruly, and it can take a while to tame them down. Your backing is perfect. Not being a hand quilter, I wouldn’t know about adding the binding, but it sounds like a good idea. I’m guessing your triangles are on the bias somewhere, and with a lot of handling, it seems like they might stretch out over time.

Janet O. said...

Oh, so nice! Love these rich colors--such beautiful fabrics!
You should receive the "patience and persistence" award for sticking with that border for 8 hours!!
I really do like to combine machine and hand stitching on minis. The machine can get those long seams out of the way in minutes and then the hand stitching can shine in the more open areas.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I love your version! Pretty fabrics too

Lizzy D said...

Very beautiful. I made one of the pyramids border so far...the triangle in the middle can line up or the ends can be equal [to form the intricate pattern]...but not both. I plan to make border 2 and see if I can do better, or just say what the heck, it's humble.... Storm may come, will you get snow???

lizzy

Debbie said...

Beautiful...your feature fabric is so gorgeous. Would stay stitching the outer edges help stabilize them while you quilt? Do what the other said as I am sure they know it better than me...lol.

Run 'n Stitch said...

I sure love your fabrics.

Doniene said...

Absolutely lovely! Triangles are trying for me too!!

Blessings and hugs!

Kyle said...

Your version is lovely especially with that wonderful focus fabric. Sorry you had so much trouble with the triangles. I redrafted mine. I also didn't want to deal with a flimsy edge so I ended up adding another border to keep it square. Fun as always.

Danice G said...

Very pretty. Such bright colors.

Clare M said...

Really lovely. Great use of that beautiful fabric.

Needled Mom said...

That looks so nice and your fabrics are just beautiful. The backing will be perfect with it.

Stitching and unstitching can be so frustrating. Glad you stuck to it.

FlourishingPalms said...

Look at you go! I'm happy for you to be accomplishing so much since all your obligation quiltmaking is behind you (for now). It's good to see you doing what you love, and learning a couple lessons along the way . Enjoy the hand quilting part. I've recently completed hand quilting (big stitch) a small quilt, and I can't tell you how much I enjoyed it. Quilting with #8 perle cotton is great!

Lori said...

I'm sorry the darn triangles on the border gave you trouble! They are hard to line up properly. I'm so glad you persevered because it is beautiful!!

QuiltGranma said...

When I visited my machine quilter who had a quilt shop as well, I learned from watching that she learned to stay stitch edges like that. That is: small stitching around the edge of the quilt 1/8" from the edge, so any bias would not stretch or pucker. Hoping this isn't too late to help you, or at least help some time for someone else.

Quilting Babcia said...

Thanks - already thought of that! The jury is still out on whether to attach the binding to the front before completing the hand quilting.