Thursday, September 27, 2018

A Second September Mini

It's been a good month for finishing up a few mini and small quilts!  This mini is the second in my "Pieced from Lois's Scraps" series.  The first is yet to be quilted, maybe October will see that one finished.


It finished at 16 inches more or less square, after trimming.  An interesting observation, I usually use a square hoop for hand quilting, but in this case used an older round one since my square hoops are too large for this little quilt.  Generally I haven't had to square up a hand quilted project but the edges of this one were seriously distorted after the quilting.  I ended up trimming a good quarter inch or so on each side to square it up as best I could. 

Trying to find an angle to show the quilting a bit better

The backing is another vintage fabric, the texture of the base fabric looks and feels much like the feedsack I used on the back of Palmateer Point, though in this case the printed flower/dot design appears to be some sort of paint?  I wasn't able to needle through those printed flowers as they were just thick enough that the tiny #10 between needle would veer off to the side everytime it came in contact with them.  It would be interesting to know exactly how the design was printed and what that material is.

This fabric was in the same bundle of feedsack and vintage fabrics I had found at an estate sale back in Oregon.  In its most recent life it had been made into a cafe curtain, with rod pocket and nicely (machine) stitched hem.

This will be my last finish for September, as tomorrow will be taken up preparing for our quilt ministry's second quilt show at the annual fall harvest festival held across the road from the church at the old grange hall grounds.  With all the cool rainy weather we've been having I'm happy that our show will be inside the church building.    I hope to have some photos to share early next week.  



8 comments:

---"Love" said...

That's a beautiful little basket quilt, and your quilting is lovely. ---"Love"

Needled Mom said...

That is such a sweet mini. The colors are wonderful too.

Debbie said...

Love the color.....great finish. A ministry show sounds like fun!

Kyle said...

Your September mini is so charming. Interesting how the backing fabric reacted to the quilting. Hope your quilt show is a big success. I'm sure it will.

Barbara said...

What a sweet little quilt, and I love that backing. Finding those feedsacks was a stroke of luck. I love that back.

Barb said...

I adore your little mini basket quilt. The color combo is so striking! sweet backing

Janet O. said...

Very cute little basket quilt. I do like your colors--the bold contrast is very striking.
I am still trying to get my September mini bound so I can post it before the month runs out. :)

Karen said...

I often seem to have a squaring up problem when I sew blocks on point. Even with trying to be extra careful in the process.