Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Palmateer Point - Finished at Last!

My latest finish, with the final binding stitch added at 10 p.m. yesterday, is Palmateer Point, the fall 2017 quilt-along hosted by Lori at Humble Quilts.   Though the top was completed last fall, it didn't find its way into my quilting hoop until the heat and humidity this summer prevented hand quilting anything larger in our un-air-conditioned farmhouse.  Without further ado, the finish!

Linking up as my second entry in the Bloggers Quilt Festival, Fall 2018 Edition, hosted by Amy Ellis.  Thanks Amy for your time and effort in providing bloggers a way to meet other bloggers and show off a finish or two each year! 

This little finish measures 32 inches square, and was hand quilted over the past month.  A closer view of the quilting and that buttery yellow border, which made me love this quilt again after not being very thrilled with my choice of the pink and white diagonal units. 

A few years ago I found several feedsacks at an estate sale that have been sitting in a drawer ever since.  I've decided to make use of them as backings for small quilts.  This is the first one to be included as a backing.

This was a developing mash feedsack from the Triangle company, and about as soft and easy to quilt as any fabric I've found.  Here's a closer look at the faded emblem on the sack.

Thanks for visiting my little blog, and I hope you'll use the link near the top of this post to see the other quilts being featured in the Bloggers Quilt Festival!

20 comments:

Sandra said...

Those are the tiniest stitches! I love how you quilted the corners; the pattern just follows around. I think the border fabric softens the other colors in the quilt center. This is a pretty quilt.

Needled Mom said...

It looks so nice. Great finish.

Janet O. said...

Beautiful little quilt. :)
I think your quilting is exquisite!

Jocelyn said...

Love your little quilt.

Nancy in NV-wheres the dude at blogspot said...

Pretty little quilt. Hand quilting does take time.

Pamela said...

Very pretty, I love the yellow border, too. Hand quilting makes it so special!

Debbie said...

Wonderful....love your backing detail and beautiful hand quilting.

Jan @Cocoa Quilts said...

The quilting shows up beautifully on the back.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Nice quilt and quilting! Interesting backing, too.

Unknown said...

Congratulation on your beautiful finish. It reminded me that I want to make one for myself. I love Lori's quilt-along but missed that one. Your rendition is beautiful. ;^)

Kyle said...

Your finish is so sweet. The soft yellow border just mellows all the colors. Lovely hand quilting too. Using the feed sacks for backings is a brilliant idea. You might as well use them in one of your awesome small quilts.

Nancy said...

This is beautiful. I really like the fabric you chose for the border. How fun that you used a feedsack for the back. You said it was easy to quilt through. Is the fabric finely woven or somewhat coarse? I have feedsacks/sugar/flour bags that we brought back from El Salvador several decades ago. They are somewhat loosely woven but so soft. I think the feedsack you used must be more finely woven.

Barbara said...

A beautiful finish! I love the feedsack backing and your hand quilting is gorgeous!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Beautiful quilt, I love your quilting!

audrey said...

Great use of your feedsack fabrics! Wonderful finish. The hand quilting is so pretty.:)

Mina said...

This is such a cute quilt

Danette said...

I like how you are using feedsacks that you have for the backings. It's great to use up unique fabrics that we have collected. Such a cute quilt!

Nann said...

Your Sunny Lanes mini-quilt is so pretty. And the feedsack provides a nice surprise on the back.

Cheryl said...

This is a beautiful finish and I love the detail and the texture that your hand quilting gives the quilt.

Quilter Kathy said...

Beautiful! Love the quilting!