Monday, September 24, 2018

Westering Women, a Flimsy at Last!

All those blocks from Barbara Brackman's Westering Women BOM from 2016 have been simmering long enough!  A couple weeks ago I pulled them out of the miscellaneous blocks tote and began the search for sashing and border fabrics.  My blocks are an eclectic mix of fabrics with no central theme, my imaginary westward pioneer having collected bits and pieces of leftover fabrics from members of her family and good friends to remind her of her eastern childhood home when she arrived in Oregon.

Though my original plan was to sash the blocks with a dark blue and cream, the totes revealed no appropriate fabrics, so my thoughts turned to brown.  That plus the fact that there were over 4 yards of a gorgeous repro print just sitting there begging to become the outer border.  How could I possibly say no to Edith? 
 (Windham Fabrics "Edith", c. 1840-1870 by Mary Koval)

My first attempt at sashings turned out to be a disaster, resulting in a really muddy appearing calico overload - sashings and cornerstones that are now being saved for something far in the future. Maybe.  Lesson learned?  I wish!  Choosing color and fabric pattern has never been a strong suit.

Moving on, the solids came out in hopes there was still enough of the deep brown  that had seemed endless a few years ago. There was.  And so we ended up with this

and then this

I know my beloved border fabric seems washed out and stretching out into nothingness especially right next to that gray carpet. I'm hoping to rein it back in and add some life to the whole with a dark binding, possibly even a flanged binding repeating the burnt orange used in the stop border.  I suspect flanged bindings are not authentic to the period, but then there are quite a few other things that aren't authentic about the quilt.  Those of you who also participated in the WW BOM will notice that rogue block in the lower left.  Yep, I rebelled at the block with umpteen Y-seams and opted instead for a snowball block, done in creams, browns and black representing the first snowfall along the muddy trail over the mountains.  The cold, slippery mud must have been horrific for those weary travelers after so many months trekking hundreds of miles across the dusty plains.

At the moment I'm planning to load this top onto my newly acquired $5 hand quilting frame, though probably not until after the Christmas holidays when company departs, since the frame is most likely going to end up in the dining room for actual quilting.  I'm so looking forward to learning to quilt on the frame, and will likely try an easy overall design like Baptist Fans.  Frame quilting for me will always have to be simple linear designs like continuous cable or grid since I've never been able to quilt in all directions.  But won't it be fun to see a quilt loaded onto this beauty?

10 comments:

julieQ said...

How lovely!! I just really admire your sampler...gorgeous!

Kyle said...

Your final selection of borders and sashing compliment the blocks and the little burnt orange border adds a special spark. It's funny how what we imagine and what the quilt needs can go off in different directions. I think the flange binding will be great. Again with that spark of color. It will be a lovely quilt to work on with your pretty frame.

Cathy said...

I love the nine patch sashing. Don't blame you for skipping Y seams in favor of snowballs.

Now you made me feel like finding my Brackman Civil War Sampler blocks. I never finished all of them and may end up with substitutes too before all is said and done.

Nice to see you working on your projects now.

FlourishingPalms said...

You're going great guns on your projects, aren't you? I need a bit of your motivation to rub off on me. Must tell you that a number of years ago our church quilting group (in Iowa) was given a gorgeous Hinterberg quilt frame. As I was leading the group at the time, I thought we'd have a weekly quilting bee, and that we'd grow a group of "older" quilters who would be interested in it. After several months of leading it, and many times finding myself the only one there, I gave up on it. And in fact, I wasn't able to figure out/learn how to hand quilt in different directions. There is definitely a skill involved with it! Our quilt group ended up selling the frame for a good price, the monies which were put toward buying quilt batting. Once you get around to setting up your frame, and quilting, I hope you find you love it. Definitely all-over designs are a good place to start, and who doesn't like a pretty Baptist fan?

Chantal said...

Congrats on getting the Westering Women all together in a flimsy. Love your snowball block. I remember doing the Gumtree leaf but I can't recall if I did do a second block with the dreaded Y seams. My blocks are hiding somewhere around here. Love your sashing and that little hint of burnt orange. Very nice touch. ;^)

Janet O. said...

I like what you ended up with on your sashing and border. A dark binding will enclose it all nicely.
(I rebel at Y-seams, too.)

Pat said...

That spark of color was a great choice - I think those Westering Women would approve! A Baptist Fan or similar would be such a nice way to try out your new frame (such an incredible deal!) I can never go off in different directions when hand quilting...always has to be right to left so any quilting is done in a small lap hoop.

Needled Mom said...

The new idea really makes those blocks pop. I like the layout and I think the flanged binding would be great. You are going to have fun using that frame.

Nancy said...

I have only just recently begun to like sampler quilts and I have to say I love this one, from blocks, to colors, to sashing and stop border, to outer border. I think Edith was a wonderful choice! I've never quilted on a frame. I think I would have trouble using one since I like to turn my hoop so I'm always quilting in the same direction. I hope you love it. Don't Baptists Fans work for every quilt?!

Barb said...

wow - that border is great and makes for really good contrast.
What a lovely quilt happy hand quilting!