Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Christmas Nostalgia

Every year when the boxes of decorations come out, the first items to be hung are two fabric Christmas trees.
My mom and I made four of these trees in late summer of 1982.  I was living in Alaska at the time, was expecting my daughter, and my mom was visiting for a couple weeks.  A happy time stitching and stuffing the triangles, one of my favorite memories of my mom.  I kept two of the trees for our home and gave one to her and the last one went to my MIL for Christmas that year.  This one hangs in the dining room and the second one decorates the back (main) entrance to our house.

The Blockade quilt inches closer to completion with less than 3 feet of the last border left to be quilted!  Hopefully I'll be on to the binding by weekend, though our schedule is getting busier by the day, with a lot of family birthdays in addition to Christmas preparations.  A last-minute gift project is in the works, photos to come later.

The circles keep adding up and are slowly taking over the design wall.  Here are days 22 thru 28.
Starting to find a few seasonal fabrics in the scrap bins to add to the mix.  And I found one scrap of this lovely old indigo floral.  So nice to see it again!

7 comments:

Janet O. said...

What sweet memories associated with your trees.
The circles are a great way to revisit scraps and find a good home for the last of a favorite piece. : )

Debbie said...

Great memories in that little tree. My circles are going to need a bigger bin ....lol. Love that indigo fabric. I am enjoying digging in the saved scraps for one last piece of things to use. It makes a nice break from piecing!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Beautiful tree and sweet memories

Kyle said...

What a special Christmas memory. Your circles are looking fun. Love the one with the gift tag.

Dana Gaffney said...

It's so nice to pull the decorations out since they come with such nice memories.

Ruth said...

That's a cute Christmas tree wall hanging! I have a few quite old Christmas decorations as well. One of my favorites is a jewel tree that my MIL made. It's in a frame on black velvet and has colored lights to add to the sparkle. She made it with her old jewelry. Maybe I'll post it on my blog.

Needled Mom said...

That is one of the best things about bringing out the Christmas decorations - the memories! That was quite a job to stuff all of those triangles.

I just love all of those circles.