Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Finding my Focus

Like so many others, these past few weeks have been ones of unrest, worry, and inability to focus.  And I for one refuse to call this a 'new normal' for it doesn't bear any semblance of normalcy in the lives of any of us.

I've been missing my evening big-stitch quilting in the hand-held hoop while watching reruns of NCIS LA and a couple other favorite shows.  There has been nothing in that hoop since Westering Women was finished last month.  And, though I've been making a bit of daily progress on my gigantic Quilty 365 project, it is too large to move into the living room on the floor hoop stand (because that's where the dog and his rambunctious master play), and the quilt is just too large to easily work with the hand-held hoop.

One day last week I made a solo trip to our church to use the fellowship hall tables to pin Joseph's Coat I and II in hopes of getting them machine quilted and finished this month.  The more I looked at them, the more I knew at least one really needed to be hand quilted, just as much as I needed to have an evening project!  Remember this Joseph's Coat II top from last summer?


After hooping it up, I went in search of a good thread that would blend with all the colors, and found these which I had set aside after winning the little set from Wendy at Wendy's Quilts and More, probably more than a year ago.  

I'd actually forgotten about them, but aren't they just perfect?! Just waiting for the right project!

This is going to be such fun, and so relaxing, just organic unmarked straight(ish) lines and stitches just a bit wobbly.  Seems my eye is such that I can't keep stitches straight anymore, no matter how hard I try.  But the resulting hand quilted texture will hide all the irregularities. Definitely not quilt show-worthy, but meant to be fun quilts for the younger grands to snuggle under when they stay over at our house again, hopefully by this summer.

Some of my first evening's progress from yesterday:


And this was all it took to give me back a bit of my energy and focus!  No rush, no deadlines to have these two completed, just some blissful hand work to erase all the daily tension and worry.  (Can you tell I've already pretty much decided that Joseph's Coat I will need hand quilting too?)  We quilters don't ask for too much do we?  Probably just as well anyway.

Linking with Wendy's Peacock Party here.

May you have a blessed holy week, and remain safe from the virus.

16 comments:

---"Love" said...

Sounds like you've made a great "recovery"! Those threads indeed are perfect for that quilt, and it will be beautiful when finished. Wish I could get a dose of the medicine you took so I could get organized and start to accomplish something worthwhile! ---"Love"

Julierose said...

Oh your hand quilting looks so organic and wonderful...happy you've found some handwork to keep you going ~ ~ ~ from Julierose

Jayne Honnold said...

Pretty stitches there! I think many of us are feeling at odds. Yours is not the first blog I've read today echoing the same sentiments. Peace and love, Jayne

Kyle said...

Many of us are looking for a special project to focus on. Those beautiful colored threads seem to be the catalyst for you. We'll love to watch your progress.

Lizzy D said...

Beautiful, hand quilting really adds life and personality to a quilt. Lovely that they are there for you at this time, when you need them and they need you, so to speak.
Def the world is not at a ''new normal'', it is surreal, like living in a horror sci fi film.

Hill Top Post said...

There are so many quilts these days that are beautifully machine quilted, but I love best the hand-quilted ones, even with wobbly stitches. (Which in your case, I doubt.) Your Joseph's Coat is beautiful! The grands will love it.

Nancy said...

It's so helpful to have handwork ready when we want to sit and relax. So glad you were able to get the Joseph's Coat read and have begun. And what a happy thing to find a collection of perfect thread colors and even better to free-hand/motion quilt without following any lines.
I hope you're able to stay home and are staying healthy.

Barb said...

What a wonderful slow project. Your thread are colorful and will be fun to match with your quilt.
I saw Joseph and his TDC 4 times in Chicago years ago starring Donny Osmond. I made a quilt for my son with that theme... I wonder where that is.
Stay Well
xo

Debbie said...

Great top and it will be such a beauty when finished. I love the mixed threads adn those lines will give it an old feel. Very comforting!

Barbara said...

Handwork helps us focus and reduces anxiety. That will be a great project to work on until this all blows over...and it will.

FlourishingPalms said...

Oh! I remember when you won those threads from Wendy! That's so great. And now you're using them - even better! I predict you will love them. It's good to see what you're hand quilting, and your stitches look gorgeous! I can tell you've had a lot of practice. And of course, I love all the colors in the quilt. I'm happy for you to be continuing to find focus. We all need it these days. I'm disappointed in myself when, more than once, I've thought about something that needs doing and I say to myself, "I'll do it tomorrow." I don't want to get into that bad habit! Take care of yourself!

Jan Hebert said...

I love your hand quilting! Those threads will be perfect in your new quilt. I haven't tried big quilting but I just love the look. It looks great in Joseph's Coat. The weather here has been so nice that we are doing more outside work than inside. Tomorrow it will rain, I need to take advantage of that! Stay safe. Jan in MA

Sandy said...

I love your hand quilting. A crooked stitch here and there gives it character. I'm learning to relax about mine.

Quilting Babcia said...

Thank you. The grands will love it, they won't even notice if it's hand or machine quilted. But yes, my stitches are more wobbly these days because of complications from cataract surgery and my eyes don't work together anymore. Straight lines look wavy now with the left eye, which complicates everything!

Ruth said...

Just gorgeous and I'm happy that you have a hand quilting project to work on while watching TV. I sure understand the inability to focus. I am getting things done, but find myself jumping from one thing to another. BTW, what kind of batting do you use for your quilts?

Wendy @ Wendysquiltsandmore said...

How wonderful that you had those threads in the cupboard! I do hope that you enjoy the hand quilting process and it helps calm your mind. I've moved through different emotions during this time too. Initially I was very worried about catching COVID-19, but once we went into lock down I accepted the new rules, but then I got frustrated at how difficult everything had become. Hopefully our restrictions will be eased slightly next week. I hope you're coping.
Thank you for linking up to the Peacock Party.