Friday, April 10, 2020

A big-boy quilt in the making

Still trying to stay focused and busy, and now that it's been snowing and blowing for the past two days, I'm feeling more like winter is settling in again, though far too early.  Maybe we will come to know this as the Spring that Never Was. 

It seems our three-year-old grandson has finally decided that it was far past time for him to be climbing out of his crib, and mom and dad are now getting used to the fact that there is no more containing this little adventurer.  It was always a mystery to me that he hadn't climbed out of his crib before this, because heaven knows he's been dancing on the dining room table and climbing everything else since he was around 18 months old.  Anyhow, the time has come for this guy to have his own special big-boy-bed quilt.  So, this is what I worked on this week when not hand quilting on Quilty 365 and Joseph's Coat II:

Quilt top finished:  check


Piece backing, and prepare binding:  check


Cut fabrics for coordinating pillowcase:  check


Tomorrow's job will be trying to interpret the instructions saved a few years ago for a "burrito pillowcase."  I recall they are not difficult to make, though the instructions failed to totally click when I read through them quickly this afternoon. 

Quilting this will have to wait until I'm able to find a good batting sale again, hopefully in a month or so. 

My blogging buddy Lizzy at Gone to the Beach always has such fun posts featuring her seasonal decorations, and her latest post nudged me to at least attempt a bit of springtime/Easter decoration around here.  So tonight I dug out a couple of vintage embroidered table runners to brighten the dining room for the next few days.



Yeah, other than Christmas we don't do much seasonal decorating.  The only bunny in the house is a stuffed one that our dog dearly loves, so it 'decorates' the living room floor along with his other stuffed animals most days!  Thinking about bunnies reminded me when my son was around a year old I made him a large stuffed bunny with fake fur, pink felt lining his floppy ears and all.  Can't recall what I used to make the bunny's tail.  Wonder if that still exists, will have to ask the kids this weekend.

Wishing you all a very Happy Easter!

12 comments:

Lizzy D said...

What a wonderful, magical little boy's quilt!
I'm so glad you showed the linen table runners, they're beautiful, perfect for spring.

Happy Easter!

lizzy

Julierose said...

that is the cutest "big boy" bed quilt--neat fabric you used.
Your Polish embroideries are just so special..Happy Easter
during these isolated times Julierose;))

Debbie said...

Great big boy quilt. You can figure out the pillowcase, or make up your own way. Sometimes I just wing it. Being inside and contained has me in the state of stir crazy! Pollen season arrived here with a vengeance. Like a double whammy.

Barbara said...

Oh my...those vintage runners so remind me of my grandmother. I have tons of that stuff from her. I totally love the fabrics you’re using in your big boy quilt.

barbara woods said...

love your boy quilt

Ruth said...

Very cute big boy quilt! I love your embroidered linens! I have some of those and maybe one day I will turn them into a quilt. My Mom used to have the same crab apple dishes! I think my sister has them now.

Kyle said...

Fabulous fabrics for your grandson's new big bed and the pillowcase pattern its difficult once you get going. No Easter decorations out this year either. We're expecting snow tonight. Good thing we're not having an Easter egg hunt. The eggs won't have been easy to hide against the white snow. Hahaha

Jan Hebert said...

I LOVE that fabric for your grandson's quilt! I've never seen that, it will be stunning when completed. Your linens are really sweet. I have some nice embroidered linens from my mom and my husband's mom. No snow here but it's been wicked windy! I only have a few spring decorations here and there but the daffodils on my fireplace mantle are stealing the show! Have a wonderful Easter. We will be alone, hopefully will have at least a phone conversation with the grands. I can't wait for this virus to settle down. Be safe everyone. Jan in MA

QuiltGranma said...

We called those dresser scarves not table runners. My only "spring décor" has been up since I made a penny rug with 3 rabbits running around the edge. It is on the spool cabinet (plastic 3 drawer) next to the computer here.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Love that magical mystical fabric for your grandson's big boy bed. It will spark his imagination I bet. I like your sweet embroidered pieces. Hope you had a nice Easter!

FlourishingPalms said...

Good for you to have a fantastic reason to make a quilt: grandson NEEDS one for his big-boy bed. How fun! It's obvious you had fun whipping up this one. How nice that you've though to include pillow cases too. I remember making the burrito version of them, many years ago. No doubt you'll figure that out when you put your mind to it. No bunnies here either. Or decorations of any kind... though I have a box of smocked Easter eggs that haven't seen daylight for about ten years. The fun in decorating wanes when there's no one around to see it. Though I'm sorry for your cold, snowy weather, I hope your Easter day was blessed. The high here today is 91!

Barb said...

what a nice big boy quilt! The time always comes in a toddlers life. Great eye spy motifs for him.
beautiful embroidery pieces.