Friday, April 24, 2020

April One Monthly Goal and other Progress


April OMG link-up is open!

Time to link up with Patty at Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal for April.  My goal this month was a simple one, to get final borders added to my Sherbet Jumble quilt top.  And here they are:


And a bit closer.  Photos taken on yet another dreary, rainy April day.  Too warm for snow, although we're expecting 2-3 inches (again) on Sunday, in a sad continuation of the spring that never was.

I think that narrow raspberry stop border livens things up a bit.  I like it. 

The top finished at 75 x 88-1/2 inches.  While waiting for my batting order to arrive I'll go through the stash totes and find something that will work for a backing.  I'm planning to machine quilt this one since it will eventually become a donation quilt.

In other quilty news, the HST "ribbons" have become a finished top for an eventual table topper. 


The red floral fabric was just barely enough to manage the narrow sashings and stop border.  The top looked OK at that point but a bit smaller than I had hoped.  Then I discovered this outer border fabric, so sweetly old-fashioned looking, and there was exactly 10-1/2 inches by WOF.  Just enough for a border with only a scrap left over.  Love when that happens! 


This little top measures 28-1/2 inches square.  I'm leaning toward hand quilting this one, again need to find a backing and see if there are any scrap pieces of batting that are large enough. 

Friday night fish fries are a western New York institution that we love.  We're fortunate to have a small restaurant in our tiny village about 3-1/2 miles from home that has a wonderful fish fry, with the option of several types of potato, 4 different ways they can prepare the fish, and a really yummy cole slaw.  They offer take out or delivery service and have managed to remain open in these trying times.  We do our best to support the few small businesses in our area.  And the icing on the cake is no cooking or clean-up afterward required! 

I hope you are all doing well weathering this storm, and keeping the hope of summer's sunshine to allow us back outside our homes once again. 

15 comments:

---"Love" said...

Your Sherbet Jumble will be a beautiful quilt, and whoever gets it will surely love it! I love your HST ribbons! In fact, I hope to make one some day in the future. I've sat and studied it, and love it more every time. ---"Love"

Cathy said...

Congrats on getting that border on that sweet Sherbet Jumble!

Weird weather here too. One day it is in the 70s and the next we get five inches of snow. It's difficult to get gardening done with weather like that.

I've seen those Ribbon quilts before. I have a bunch of 1.5 inch pieces for HSTs left over from strips I've used for Hourglass blocks. I was wondering how many 1.5 inch HSTs it would take to make a lap sized Ribbon quilt. Then I decided "too many"!!! I really like that layout for HSTs.

Hill Top Post said...

If I can ever finish the dolls, I want to make a small quilt. I have my eyes on your HST Ribbon quilt for I love it so much. You are such an inspiration and would make a great teacher. Like some kid supposedly said, when he wanted to go get something to eat, “I am tired of eating groceries.”

Debbie said...

The little ribbon quilt is so cute...and I love the color combo for the borders. Just enough fabric is always a good sign.
Our days are warmer in the mid 70s so outside is nice. It is the strong storms we keep getting that have me down. Otherwise we are well.

Quilting Babcia said...

I'm happy that setting is inspiring you to make a doll quilt. When you're tired of eating groceries, grow a garden!

Barbara said...

That’s a perfect pop of color on your quilt. I agree. It really livens things up. Both quilts turned out great. So sorry about your weather, although ours isn’t a whole lot better. Rain, rain, rain. We had a couple of weeks of nice weather though, so I shouldn’t complain.

Ruth said...

Both quilts are so lovely!! And the both borders are just gorgeous!! I need to look for more floral fabrics for borders.

Hill Top Post said...

Now, that's not my quote. :~) We are big into gardening ~ Three, in fact!

Quilting Babcia said...

We have three gardens as well, or will have if we ever warm up here. Snow predicted for tomorrow night ... again ...

cityquilter grace said...

love your twisted ribbons!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Congratulations on your finishes, they are both lovely.

Kyle said...

Both borders are great. Love the colors of your Sherbet Jumble. Someone will really enjoy this lovely quilt. Twisted Ribbons is so cute. I love it too when a piece of fabric is perfect and there is exactly the right amount. It's destiny.

FlourishingPalms said...

I'm happy for you to finish two more quilt tops! Progress is always good. Sherbet Jumble will be a much-appreciated donation quilt. You are SO generous with your time. I admire you for that. Nice that you can do take-out. Do you take any extra precautions with the food? We're staying so very much in isolation, that we're not ordering anything online, doing any curbside pick-up, nor getting take-out food. Really, we're living under a rock! And looking forward to Sunday's press conference by our Florida governor (Ron DeSantis) to hear what he has to say about Florida's eventual reopening. Can't imagine that we'll be back into our 94 Villages rec centers any time soon, especially when large groups like 60 ukulele players, or 35 quilters, or 20 line dancers are accustomed to gathering. Nothing will be the same for a long time. Keep sewing! I am!

Needled Mom said...

Both look really nice. I have always liked that ribbon pattern and yours looks so great in those fabrics.

Patty said...

Lovely. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.