Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Utility Stitching ...

About 40 years ago, when the world and I were much younger, I spent a couple semesters learning hand weaving, and eventually got a loom.  One of the first warps loaded onto that loom was about 20 yards long, a fairly thin cotton in random gold/brown colored stripes, with a thick white cotton weft from which I wove a sequence of placemats until that warp was used up, then reloaded the loom with green and light yellow stripes and wove more.  Gave many away, but kept about ten for our household use.  They've been in service all these years.

Now, those who know me well know that I'm a make-do, use-it-up, wear-it-out kind of gal.  But really ... after nearly 40 years and who knows how many times through the wash ...

There are several in this condition, and more that will be within the next few months.  One has a huge ink stain on it (?)  Sheesh!  Now the only reason the one in the photo is still here is that my dear hubby won't let me throw it out!  I made it, therefore it should last forever, right?  Hmm, I don't think so.  Even I won't be putting that on the table again!

Being at loose ends (read funk) in the quilting room, I'd been eyeing all the small totes and swiffer boxes filled with leftover triangles and HST blocks left over from a number of projects.  The one that has hung around the longest revealed two sizes of leftover pieces from my basket-making fun a couple years back.  There were enough of the larger triangles to make hourglass squares for three new placemats.  Or, stretching the definition just quite a bit, mini or small quilts.  Albeit with large piecing. Without further ado, here they are. Ditch quilted, and bound with some leftover pieces of older bias-cut plaid bindings gleaned from yet another swiffer refill box.


My camera was totally unable to reproduce the pretty creams and tans of the lighter triangles and most are quite washed out in these photos.


This third mat will probably go on the little bistro table on the back porch where I love to have my mid-morning latte on warm days. 


The backs of all three are from a couple pieces of a cute fabric line with teapots. 


At quilt ministry last week I pinned a large 84 inch square quilt, destined for this year's auction.  It has sat folded next to the Janome since last Tuesday, for some reason I can't work up the energy or kick my quilting mojo into high gear to even begin quilting it.   These wonky little placemats are all I have to show for a week's worth of stitching.  There are three more large quilts all cut out awaiting piecing, a king size (Quilty 365) in the hoop, Westering Women and the Christmas Stars tops hang in the closet awaiting their turn, along with a mini for another month, and on it goes.   I do hope this lethargy passes soon, it definitely doesn't help my state of mind when the energy level goes this low.
Thinking right now how good a pot of salted caramel black tea would taste.


Maybe I'll finish my string blocks for this month and then get started on quilting the latest beast.  In a couple days.  First though I may just stitch up another couple placemats.  Simple utility sewing can be kind of fun sometimes.  Sure beats mending!

6 comments:

Janet O. said...

I do like the woven placemat, but it does look like it has given its all. :)
Nice quilted replacements.
Sometimes we just need some time to get back in the swing of things. I have no doubt you will find your mojo again.

Debbie said...

Sometimes you just can't let those special handcrafted/loomed items go......they also hold dear memories I bet. You new placemats are great, and I love the offset design. Until the mojo returns, renew your spirit with tea and simple stitching.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

I had a good chuckle when I was trying to figure out how you were going to incorporate your hand woven mats into something new and exciting! Then of course I read on and saw your fabulous new creations. What an inspiration! I really need some new ones too! And, these definitely fit into the mini quilt category so I will be linking this post to my mini quilt post next week. Good for you!!

Barbara said...

Great idea for those bonus triangles. I have a couple of bags of those, and I’’ve been wondering what to do with them. I like this idea. They turned out very cute.

Lizzy D said...

Hi! Send the placemat to me and I ll make you some lavender hearts or little squares if you hate hearts, backed w linen maybe or a soft print, filled with my Cape Cod lavender. Sweet way to save it, tho I understand if you don t wish to cut it up.
Love the mini quilt placemats, too cute to use...and salted caramel tea sounds yummy, if winter-y, who makes it?
ve

lizzy

FlourishingPalms said...

How impressive that you were once a weaver! Do you still own your loom? Those place mats sure stood the test of time. You can be very proud of the high quality of your craftsmanship. I know about those periods of quiltmaking lethargy. I believe every quilter has those times, and there isn't much to be done about them. Ride it out. Appreciate the break, even if there's a long to-do list. Your mid-morning porch break with a latté sounds divine! Be kind to yourself.