Thursday, May 2, 2019

One Monthly Goal for May


Around the middle of April our quilt ministry learned of a little 7-year-old boy who is chronically ill with the effects of Lyme Disease that has attacked many of his major organs.  I felt strongly called to offer some comfort through a quilt from our ministry.  Somehow I feel an urgency about this one, though I don't know why, but it immediately jumped to the top of the playlist.  Thus was my latest squirrel to enter my little sewing space and wreak general havoc on the best-laid plans of mice and quilters.

First, a little design wall play with some block layout possibilities.


And a finished top.

Fabrics are from two older In The Beginning lines, Catkin and Folklorica, gleaned from my stash and a donation to the quilt ministry a couple years back.   The size ended up being square to accommodate my remaining  Catkin border fabric from a grandson's quilt made back in 2012.


I'm using very simple meandering and outline machine quilting on the Janome to finish this off.
Quilting is progressing more slowly due to a couple of family emergencies, but I hope to get the quilting completed and a binding cut and sewn on in the next week or two, and that is my One Monthly Goal for May.   Linking with Patty at Elm Street Quilts for the May Goal-Setting Linkup.  Thanks Patty for keeping us inspired and on track each month!

11 comments:

Janet O. said...

What a beautiful quilt top--so rich in color and design, but carefully put together so that the wonderful fabrics do the talking.
I can understand the feeling of urgency for such a project. Lyme Disease is a difficult thing for an adult, how much harder for a child to deal with its effects.

Lizzy D said...

What a beautiful magical quilt for a child! It will inspre his imagination and give him comfort too. Lovely.

lizzy

---"Love" said...

I'm sure the quilt will be much loved. I think we know where your desire to make the quilt came from Glad you answered the call. ---"Love"

Nancy said...

Oh my goodness, what a delightful quilt! I'm sure the little fellow will love it. There's so much to look and and see. And I've great confidence that you'll be able to finish this month, too, Pat.

Debbie said...

Just wonderful.....lots of details and drama in this one. I am sure the little guy will love and enjoy it.

Barbara said...

Perfect project for that little boy.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

It came out beautifully! He will love it. What a great quilt for a sick child. So much to see and dream about. I love it!

Needled Mom said...

That is a terrible disease. I'm sure this beautiful quilt will bring joy to him. You did a great job highlighting that fabric.

Kyle said...

That's a special squirrel project. I'm sure your quilt will be loved and appreciated

Patty said...

Very pretty. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck on your project.

Pat said...

This quilt speaks from the heart - it will truly bring happy smiles to the young recipient and make his days of recovery easier.