Friday, November 24, 2023

Vintage Spin is a November Finish

 Earlier this week I finally put the finishing stitches in my version of Kathy Doughty's Vintage Spin (from her book Adding Layers).


I've been waiting for a less dreary rainy day to grab a few photographs, but yesterday finally gave up on that idea and just went for it.  Wet grass, winds gusting to near 35 mph and 40 degree temps and all.  But this morning it's only 32 degrees, and still mostly cloudy so maybe Thanksgiving was the better day after all. 


I hand quilted this one with a light lavender 12 weight Aurifil thread, first outlining each of the black circles and then along the edges of all the light colored wedges.  After taking off the hoop the circles puffed out a lot more than they should have, especially on the back, so after putting the binding on I went back and quilted smaller quarter coin size circles in the middle of each black one, effectively turning them into donut holes as you can see from these photos of the back.



The batting is heirloom wool, which I love for hand quilting and for the softness and light weight of the finished quilt.  This time I had to piece every square of leftover pieces to have (barely) enough to cover the backing.  


The outdoor photos were taken before washing the quilt.  Here it is after the delicate cold wash cycle, and a spin through the dryer on a low setting.  It was still slightly damp from the dryer so it is now resting on the guest bed to finish drying.  After quilting and washing it now measures 76 x 62.5 inches. 


To be honest, when I finished putting the top together I wasn't particularly fond of this quilt, but now after seeing it all soft and puffy in all its finished glory, I've fallen in love with it.  This one may just become our favorite knock-about quilt, and the grands will love snuggling under it on the couch when they visit again.  

I'll try to post an update on my progress with Bramble Blooms I sometime next week.  In the meantime, enjoy all those Thanksgiving leftovers - I know we will!  






15 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

oooh la la...loving this.. saw a similar in a kaffe fassett book and it's on my someday list. very nice finish

Joan H. said...

Wow! It's a beauty, well done.

Barbara said...

Oh, what a wonderful finish! Your quit looks so soft and comfy. I love the way you set the blocks side by side--the visual effect is fantastic :)

Robin said...

Oh, this turned out great. I especially love the comfy look of the washed quilt. Nice finish!

Lizzy D said...

Oh it is wonderful, so quirky and fun. And handquilted for soft and cozy. I love it! And very good photos.

I was interested in the way you washed the wool batting , good to know.

Warmer weather coming Sunday we are told.

love

lizzy

Tazzie said...

What a gorgeous finish, this is so beautiful, I love it!
Hugs, Tazzie

Chantal said...

Great Vintage Spin quilt! Amazing job on assembling all those "petals" and aligning all the seams. Bravo, bravo! It does look puffy on the bed like one would simply sink into it when lying on it. Congratulations! ;^)

Connie said...

It's lovely. What a joy to be cuddled up under it on a long cold winter's night.

Nancy said...

What a fun, fun quilt! I don't know how but but it seems like the circles are spinning. Optical illusion, I guess. I love how puffy it is with the wool batting. I can imagine that it would be very warm and light weight. Was there much shrinkage?
I have the same experience of loving a quilt when it's finished when I didn't love it before. Strange how that happens after quilting, binding, washing, and drying.

Nann said...

Oh! The lively geometry of the design in the soft colors is a great combination. I like the back, too.

Mary said...

It’s gorgeous! I love the movement in this quilt.

Kyle said...

What a wonderful finish. The wool batt makes all your hand quilting stand out.

Cathy said...

Love it! And I love that pattern. Made one a long time ago and hand quilted it and then gave it away to a family member with cancer. I think I might need to revisit that pattern. Congrats on that fabulous finish!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I actually adore this quilt of yours. Is the pattern hard to stitch...for someone like me who is not great on the machine I mean.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Wow, your vintage spin is absolutely beautiful - just fun and unique. love it! And I know what you mean about wool batting. I've used it for my latest couple of quilts, and I really love how it handles, and how the finished quilts feel. So soft.