Monday, October 30, 2023

Bramble Blooms QAL - Possibilities

Who can resist a quilt-along hosted by and with tutorials from Audrey of Quiltyfolk?!  Especially one that promises a work at your own pace, with a variety of techniques and with fabrics already in your stash, those oldies you've been wondering whatever am I going to do with that fabric once loved and purchased but now seriously outdated.  I think some of us older well seasoned quilters have grown a bit tired of CW repro quilts and would love to dive into the world of color and improv quilting but lack the courage/knowledge of where to begin.  

I'm wondering to myself 'Can I do this?'   Well, I'm sure going to try!   Here's a link to Audrey's introductory post with our first steps toward Bramble Blooms I.  

First, the fabric pull.  A couple days ago I pulled a little tote filled with fat quarter +/- fabrics that was easily accessible and dumped them out.  I chose that multicolor floral fabric as my focus or starting point and began adding from there.

After a bit the pile had grown to this


I was pretty happy with this little pile, but realize it's heavy on the yellows and greens and a bit light on red/pinks, and have since added a couple more FQ size pieces.  I'm sure other bins will be raided as time goes by and I have an idea of where the quilt is heading.  I'm planning to do fabric pulls for the next quilts in the series once a suitable container is found to keep them, everything in here is already holding stash or scraps, or fabric pulls of other 'someday' projects.

I stitched the center panel this morning.

We had several glorious days last week, though it has now turned cold, rainy, and gray.  We were able to capture a few great photos of the ancient shagbark hickory tree before it lost its leaves.  Perhaps that's what contributed to the abundance of yellow/gold fabrics in this first fabric pull!  



17 comments:

Lizzy D said...

Your fabric pull is lovely. And the SAL looks interesting, thanks for the heads up. I ll have to reread Audrey's info when I have time to take in the details. I love her meandering, learning timeline.

The tree is glorious. I m glad you have some beautiful days to enjoy before winter' s cold arrives.

lizzy

audrey said...

It's a great looking start Pat! I added you to the link list already. Glad to have you on board.:)

Robin said...

You've sure been busy pulling fabric. It looks great! This is going to be a fun unconventional SAL where it's not a mystery but it really is because we won't know what it will look like till we're finished. I neglected to thank you for the poppy seeds. You are so thoughtful. I look forward to seeing them next summer.

Juliann in WA said...

I am of the mind that you can never have too much yellow.

FlourishingPalms said...

Oh good! A QAL meant to use-up fabrics, is the best sort! Glad you have such a great fabric collection to pull from! After reading through the instructional blog post, I wouldn't have print pieces large enough to make one quilt, let alone three! The colors you've selected look so good together, and I can see how they were inspired by that tree. Wow! That tree is just gorgeous! How delightful for you to get to see that each fall. I'll be watching as you go through this QAL. Have fun!

Rebecca in AK said...

I really like your fabric choices! I will probably be adding to mine too, as we go along. I am looking forward to the next part. Beautiful photo of your tree.

Katie said...

Such pretty fabrics. I'm excited to challenge myself and maybe learn some things along the way.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Yes, a great fabric pull, love all the yellow! I'm considering joining in with Audrey's BB project too, it'll be a good to use some of the "older" fabric I’ve been hoarding – who knows why - and cut it up.

Janet O. said...

That is a great focus fabric. And you found a good variety of fabrics to go with it. I just read about this SAL on Robin's blog. Another one I won't be joining as I try to reduce the number of UFOs crowding out my sewing room.
Great shot of your tree. Looks like a lovely shade tree!

Nancy said...

You have a great selection of fabrics to work with, Pat. I'm interested to see the progress on these quilts. I'm still undecided about joining--not a great fan of medallion quilts, but then, they're not all the same.... I'll probably decide after seeing Audrey's next suggestion.
Does your shagbark hickory produce nuts and, if so, do you eat them or leave them for the squirrels? It's a beautiful tree!

Julierose said...

Your fabric pull looks super!! I am having difficulty just doing that part!!:000 But I figure that as i get going and actually know what my direction will be, i can add and subtract accordingly...fingers crossed...Your panel looks great--mine is way too big, I think--so need to whittle it down a bit
Hugs in hopes Julierose

Mystic Quilter said...

It's good that we can add, should we need to as we go along. you have a good selection of fabric in your stack.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I've floundered (is that word?) about but have decided to dive in. I love your fabric pull and will be doing the same today. I know with Audrey we can take it slow and steady as it were. Also a Babcia...what a neat word!

Barbara said...

That sounds like a wonderful do-it-at-your-own-pace project. You have a great assortment of fabrics to use with that focus piece. I look forward to seeing your progress. I love that big old tree--so beautiful!

Cathy said...

Oh, what a great idea to pull colors in a focus fabric and what a lovely focus fabric it is!

Lori said...

Love your focus fabric! I can see how that lovely tree may have influenced your lean toward yellow. We have had some amazing fall color here.

Paulette said...

What a great idea to use that fabric as a starting point for your pull. You've got a nice grouping!