Thursday, November 30, 2023

Bramble Blooms I - some progress to date

While some have already completed their center applique, there always has to be someone bringing up the rear, right?  Slow but steady is my mantra for this quilt - any current project for that matter!  Improv and applique are so out of my comfort zone, yet this project and following along with Audrey's thought process as she builds her quilts is so inspiring that I couldn't resist joining in.

So, several ideas came to mind for the center applique.  First, it was sunflowers.  I got as far as sketching out a pattern and inking it onto some mylar template material, then sanity prevailed as I figured out how many individual petals would be needed to complete one flower, much less two or three as I'd planned. Saved for BB-2 or BB-3 perhaps?

Tulips looked easier for this relatively simple center, so I thought.  Stems cut and pinned, then narrowed down.  First paper tulip tryouts added.

Tried adding fabric - um, no.


At this point several things were bothering me.  First, the random (boring) placement of stems, with nothing to anchor them.  I really wanted something more cohesive, what about a vase or flower pot?
The blue funky flowers also had to go.  After rummaging through a lot of fabric pieces, I remembered the small bin of Japanese yukata fabrics I'd been collecting a few years back.  Thinking in terms of a geometric design for the flower pot, I found this fabric and folded into shape and put it up on the design wall, added some leaves - yes! 



After moving things a bit -


Then this

I think this is pretty much the final design, a bit more trimming, and the vase will be a bit shorter as the bottom edge still needs turning under and basting.   Some of the leaves need to be tweaked a bit as well.  Hoping to get the major elements marked in place and get everything off the design wall and ready for final stitching over the weekend.  

It has been a busy but satisfying week.  The laser procedure for my eye was on Monday, and was a total success beyond my wildest imagination.  I can see colors again and everything is crystal clear with sharp edges. I don't need to turn on every light in a room in order to see.   I even threaded a needle without the help of the little threader I'd been using!  The doctor, after looking at all the tests, decided that both eyes would benefit from the laser and so he went ahead.  The entire procedure for both eyes took less than ten minutes, and the result was immediate!  Prayers answered!

We had our first snow this week, now rain is predicted for the next several days.  We did enjoy several clear nights during this full moon, I always love seeing the sky by moonlight, especially with sparkling snow on the ground.  

Til next time, may peace and joy surround you this holiday season!



11 comments:

Nancy said...

Oh, how delightful! I love your tulips and especially that you used different colors for them. I think it make it easier to choose colors for the border we'll be doing next. I'm with you, Pat, about flowers floating on fabric. I need my flowers anchored somehow. (And this is not saying anything against those who choose to not to use a vase!)
I also love the little blue flowers you removed from your first layout. They are positively charming. Maybe you could use them in Bramble Blooms 2?
What size is your center background?
That's fabulous news about your eyes! It must be a relief to have the procedure over with and a thrill that it was such a success. I'm so happy for you!

Katie said...

I love your tulips! I once appliqued a sunflower and I absolutely understand your change of plans there. Don't beat yourself up about "being behind" - do it at a pace that keeps you wanting to continue, not feeling as if this is a chore, but if you just had eye surgery, you can also definitely get a pass on taking longer. (I'm glad to hear it worked so well.)

Julierose said...

Love your tulips in the vase--really pretty...
I also didn't like the hanging stems on mine and opted for a vase, of sorts-- ;)))
I began hand stitching the vase yesterday but didn't like the outcome so I think I will take the stitches out (yuck!!) and just do a straight stitch...

I don't know about you, but I feel like I don't know where I'm going with this--no idea at all--makes it really challenging...;000 hugs, Julierose

Robin said...

This is great! There are many ways to design a tulip and I love the shape you have chosen. The addition of blue was a must. It looks terrific. I feel like I'm sitting on my hands. I'm tempted to come up with a border for my center without the prompt. Patience. . .

Rebecca in AK said...

I really liked that you showed your process in designing your center Applique. I love the end result! It is perfect. So glad to hear that the eye procedure went so well.

FlourishingPalms said...

Oh my gosh! I'm SO happy for you... about your eyes. That's just incredible! In fact, I'm a bit jealous. Seeing colors? No extra lights? Threading a needle? You've just nailed all MY complaints. I'm coming to the conclusion I need to see (ha, ha) an opthamologist. Cataracts, I think. Anyway, I couldn't be more excited for you to see like that again. And how great is it that you can design a quilt center like that? I mean, wow. You're going through the same sort of idea process - trying, rejecting, adjusting, accepting, and "Yes!" moments - that I do when making a modern quilt. We all apply these creative steps to whatever we're making. Your choices are all good ones, and your piece is going to be lovely. Enjoy appliquéing this weekend! And especially SEEING what you're doing! (Yay!)

Janet O. said...

That is fantastic news about your eyes, Pat. Just absolutely thrilled for you!!
I love your "final answer" on your Bramble Blooms center. I enjoyed following along on the process involved to arrive there. I don't do applique or improv either, and I am certain if I tried them it would not turn out as nicely as yours has.

Barbara said...

I am so glad to hear you can see perfectly again! Wow--that is wonderful news :) Loved reading about your center block creation. The tulips in a vase are so appealing. I would have a problem with improv, too, but you've mastered it!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

You've done a wonderful job of forming your improv flowers. I adore tulips so of course, these are special to me. And how wonderful to have had a great result with your eye surgery. That is a real boon for sure. You take care now and happy Stitching from me!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Loving where you ended up with your blooms! I enjoyed the progress pics too. Improv is a process I find challenging, lots of adding fabrics & getting proportions right... it's taking me some time to feel happy with my results!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Your flowers look great! I think the flower pot was a good idea! Enjoy the improv nature of this project! I will be cheering from the sidelines. That's wonderful about your eye procedure. Happy New Year!