Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Bramble Blooms 1 - next steps

 It's a foggy, rainy afternoon and the internet is barely moving along.  HughesNet and rainy/snowy weather do NOT get along at all - 'nuf said ...

Anyhow, when I last posted, the center of my Bramble Blooms I was still in process of being stitched down.  When Audrey posted her guidance for the first set of borders, I was having a little fun playing with some sawtooth stars meant for a camp donation quilt for the 2024 auction.

Cheerful, yes?  Though clearly not what Audrey had in mind.  More applique, possibly a coping border and then a wider border with repeated applique was what she suggested.  I had been thinking about half circle appliques surrounding the coping border, so I set about looking for some possibilities.  

After having used a piece of Japanese yukata fabric for the flower pot in the center, that bin of fabrics was consulted again while completely ignoring my set of fabrics initially chosen for this series.  Improv????   I ended up choosing another treasured piece of yukata of which I have 4 yards (yukata fabrics are typically only 14 inches wide, so not as much fabric as you might have thought).  


A bit on the dark side, but I love the subtle colors and the repeating tulip theme.  Below you can see the tulips emerging and also my half-circle cracker box template pinned in place.   Coping border was chosen from my bin of bits and pieces set aside for the sawtooth stars quilt, but that bit of deep brownish red seems to tie the center tulips with the brownish tulip leaves in the outer border. 


Surrounding the outer edge of the coping border completely with half circles was clearly not going to work well since I didn't want them covering that flowing tulip motif.  


Right now I'm thinking intermittent half circle appliques will solve that issue.   The next thing I'll need to consider is whether to continue these fabrics around the entire border or ?  I like the idea of the undulating tulips all the way around, and hoping it won't be "overkill" if I proceed in that direction.
And no, there won't be a right-hand border of that red fabric on the right (below), it's just pinned up on the design wall so it doesn't wander away while I'm concentrating on other ongoing projects...


Last, but not least, I'm leaning toward using the green fabric shown below for the cornerstones fabric.  A lot to do before Audrey's next set of border suggestions are published!


Til next time, I hope you're having as much fun with whatever you're stitching at the moment.


12 comments:

Lizzy D said...

Very creative! Tho I really loved the purple stop border and the Stars.

lizzy

Julierose said...

Your piece is really coming together so nicely--love the Yukata border;)))
hugs, Julierose

Chantal said...

After seeing the Yukata fabric, it took me a while to understand that the stars weren't on the right side of the centre anymore. I thought: "Yes, Yukata is lovely but doesn't match the stars!" Believe me, the picture in my head wasn't very pretty, lol. I much prefer what you have on the wall now. The half-circles are perfect for hiding the darker border and they bring out the tulip shapes nicely. Great idea to pin a fabric to the design wall so it doesn't wander away. I have many fabrics that love to wander away. Take care and enjoy your Bramble Blooms! ;^)

Nancy said...

I love your center, Pat, with those gorgeous tulips. I also like the grey on the left AND the red on the right (though I know you said it wasn't for this quilt, though it looks great). When I first saw the yellowish half circle on the grey fabric, I thought, Oh, a moon. But I do love that you've added more half circles. I don't know what the rest of the yukata fabric looks like, whether we're seeing the whole width or not, but from what I see, I'm wondering what would happen if you put the piece on the right side instead of the left and put five or six half circles on the side of the yukata with less tulip motif showing. (I know, I need to stay with my own Bramble Blooms!)
I'm looking forward to seeing your choices for the center with the rest of its borders.

Robin said...

The border fabric is gorgeous! I don't blame you for wanting to use it.

Hubblebird said...

I really like the way your Bramble Blooms is coming together, and I especially like the intermittent half circles in the border. Very eyecatching, I think.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I read this post carefully as I am working on my Bramble Blooms piece too. Always good to know another's thoughts esp. about borders which often stump me. I've done one border of soft coloured piano keys that are scrappy. What next has not come to me yet. I love that border fabric you have there. Anyway, I can tell you are enjoying the process which I am too, which is what it is all about. Happy Stitching!!

Nann said...

I love the pot of tulips, Pat -- but Audrey did say improv so if you want to add blocks instead of appliques, why not? Actually, I think I'd try an L-shaped border of the star blocks and then applique over them.

audrey said...

Oh what fun to use the special fabric! And I'm loving the idea of your half circles being placed intermittently. Everyone's version is turning out so different. Really fun to see.:)

Janet O. said...

A very pretty pot of tulips!
Sometimes it takes a while to find what clicks for a next round, or a border. I do love that tulip border fabric.

Barbara said...

I loved reading your thought processes and how changing one thing on Bramble Blooms led to even more possibilities. That's what it's all about--trying something new and different to push you in a new direction and you are doing great! Can't wait to see what you decide to do next:)

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

This is looking exciting! And I enjoyed reading your thoughts as you worked through this. The yukata fabric is very special. I love how everyone's BBs is so different.