Monday, July 1, 2019

A Few Smalls

A few weeks ago at quilt ministry one of our ladies gave each of us a half yard of sewing-related fabric and issued a challenge for us to make something from the fabric, adding any other fabrics or scraps of our choosing, and bring the finished item for a swap the first Tuesday in July, along with having our semi-annual brunch.  Sew, ok!  Challenge accepted, but what to make??

Going through our little library's old magazines I happened upon a pattern "Snap to It!" designed by Carol Streif that appeared in Quilter's World, Summer 2013.  Cute bags, but requiring pieces of an old retractable metal tape measure.  Well, we have an old one or two hanging around, but all too narrow for this pattern.   I just happened to find a 25-foot one at the first yard sale Lois and I visited the following week, so I was in business!

Following the instructions in the magazine I sewed up this first one.
OK, though I didn't care for the side angles created by the size of the boxed in bottom.

Second try:
A little better, with a slightly smaller boxed bottom.  I'll take these two to our gathering tomorrow with the one extra in case we have a new member attend, which often happens in the summer.  But I had to try just one more tweak, and made this one for my daughter:


Fun and fairly easy to make, although the last seam requires strict attention since the metal tape measure pieces are inserted at this point and are extremely close to the closing seam.  One.stitch.at.a.time.  But odd as it seemed when I first saw this in the magazine, it really works and the bag snaps shut and keeps its contents safely inside.

The bag as patterned has exposed seams on the inside, OK, but not as neat as I'd like to see this.  After finishing with the auction donation quilts later this summer, I'd like to experiment a bit with the order everything is sewn to see if there is a way to have all the inside seams hidden and be able to insert the metal pieces before folding over the top/lining fabric as that would provide a bit more space for stitching.  And with a leftover 200 inches of metal tape measure just waiting for more cutting and experimentation, who knows what's next on the agenda!

Til next time - happy summer quilting, gardening, or however you enjoy your warm sunny days!


10 comments:

Debbie said...

The bags are great! You have more patience than me....I did one ages ago and did not like the exposed seams or messing with the metal edges. With 3 under your belt, I believe you will figure it out.

Barbara said...

What an interesting project! Great use of that fabric.

---"Love" said...

Those little bags turned out sooooo cute! I love the fabrics! I can't imagine working with that metal measuring tape though, but it looks like it works well. ---"Love"

Barb said...

what great bags! Love the trim details.

Kyle said...

Those a great bags. I actually made quite a few back in the day. They were perfect for kids. I did discover that the cheap tape measure from the dollar store didn't have enough snap to close the bag! Hahaha

Janet O. said...

Great fabric combos in your bags. Those are such handy little things.
A quilt shop owner in NH gave me one where the body of the bag is made of a type of nylon or plastic mesh. You can see what is inside. Kind of fun. I take bite sized chocolate bars in it to our weekly Scrabble games with Mom. :)

Ruth said...

Such cute bags! I would like to try one, but I haven't seen any of the old tape measure. Funny how when you are wanting something, sometimes it will show up at a garage sale! I have had that happen before.

Needled Mom said...

Those are so nice. I love the snap closed pouches.

FlourishingPalms said...

I'm late to commenting because I've been away for the past 12 days, but I can't neglect to say how much I enjoyed seeing you make these pouches. I made several of them myself, about ten years ago, and thought they were fiddly. Though I gave them away, I recall that mine too had inside raw edges - not a fan of that. I have a different zipper pouch in my future plans, and expect to use some cork and vinyl to make them. Thanks for sharing your pretty makes! I have no doubt there were some happy sewists/quilters in your swap!

Ruth said...

Great block designs!!