Friday, April 26, 2019

Mini Tumblers

I wasn't sure if this little quilt would be finished in time for Wendy's (The Constant Quilter) mini challenge, but the last binding stitches were finally put in earlier this evening - yay!  The weekend promises to be rainy and busy with family birthday parties, etc., so indoor photos under the lights will have to do.


A close-up of a few of the luscious fabrics.  All the tumblers and I believe the outer border (my favorite) were gifted from my blogging friend Janet at Rogue Quilter a couple years back - thanks again Janet!!  I tried some wonky big stitch hand quilting of the tumblers, and the borders were just ditch quilted on the Janome.  It was while ditching the narrow light purple that I discovered one of the pieces had been mis-cut, and is wider at one end than the other.  At that point I wasn't about to take it apart and recut - a humble little quilt indeed!



The back, a piece of an older purple tiny floral print from my stash.

And, just because I really wanted to have some outdoor photos with a daffodil backdrop and these are the only available stand-ins!


Have a wonderful weekend, and happy stitching until next time.

12 comments:

Janet O. said...

Ah, as soon as I saw this little quilt it made me smile. A lovely finish, and the border difference just gives character. The hand quilted texture is a great final touch. A winner in my book!

Debbie said...

So pretty! I like how you are combining hand and machine stitching. A great mini to start the season.

Barbara said...

That turned out so pretty. My son brought me some fabrics from Guatemala. They are hand-dyed and hand-woven. I was thinking a tumbler might be a good choice, and I have some other ideas for them too. Yours inspires me.

Needled Mom said...

The narrower piece does not show in the picture. I like the hand quilting in it.

Hill Top Post said...

I love this little quilt so much that I didn't even try to find the special little tumbler. Wow, so pretty with the big quilting stitches.

FlourishingPalms said...

What a sweet little quilt. I have made a mini tumbler quilt myself and can attest to how fun they are to put together. Your hand quilting is the perfect finish for it. Love seeing your daffodils too! Hope your weekend didn't turn out as rainy as you expected, but that indeed, you enjoyed spending time with family. That's the best!

Kyle said...

An awesome April finish. Love the tumblers that Janet sent and how you combined both hand and machine quilting. Happy spring🌷

Quilting Babcia said...

Thank you! This one was especially fun to make, and I'm happy that I waited until I had time to hand quilt it.

Lizzy D said...

Precious little quilt! The fabrics are wonderful, fun to look at the closeup and enjoy each one.

Hope your weekend was fun and not as wet as predicted, we only had sprinkles and very grey.

lizzy

audrey said...

Very sweet! I have one little tumbler table runner and I've never grown tired of it! Great little finish.:)

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Simply stunning! I think "tumbler" is my favorite one patch quilt. I just adore this one! I will link them all in my post today. Thanks for another great mini!

Barbara said...

What a wonderful tumbler mini! It looks so nice on your table with those pretty daffs :)