Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Strings, Strings, Beautiful Strings

Lori at Humble Quilts is hosting a 2019 Stringalong, and posted her first month linky party today.  As is often the case, I dithered thought a lot about what kind of string quilt to start off the year, and procrastinated until the day the linky party was posted to get started.  But, start I did this afternoon.

I found a great little tutorial for a spiderweb block on Marit's blog Quilt-It, and decided to make a small quilt using this tutorial.  At the moment the plan is to make 4 blocks and then add a couple borders of piano keys - we'll see where we end up in a few months.  There may just be enough blue strings and scraps for a full size quilt.


Cutting and marking the base triangles.  This one is ready for stitching.

Strings sewn on.

The back after sewing the strings.  Note the white base fabric is only attached at the seam attaching the first string on each side.  It is folded back out of the way for each subsequent string, and only serves as a measuring aid for the added strings and a guide for trimming the final shape.

After trimming the excess.  After trimming the triangle shape, the excess base fabric is also cut away.

The pros to this method: no papers to rip away after the blocks are stitched.  This is a big one in my book!  The cons:  You are left with these odd-shaped triangles to add to the scrap bins.

Hopefully by the next linky party there will be some completed blocks to show you.  Linking up with Lori's Stringalong 2019, where you'll even see some finished string quilts in the mix!

20 comments:

Lizzy D said...

This is such a fun quilt to make. I want to make another...aren't the strings fun! I did not know to cut aay the base fabric [ and leaving it did make for a nicely stable piece],; I ended up w very bulky centers of my cobwebs.

love

lizzy

---"Love" said...

i don't recall seeing that method before, but it looks neat to me! I need to make a note of it; I may want to try it too! ---"Love"

Janet O. said...

I've never made one of these, but I have always admired them. I look forward to seeing this grow!

Nancy said...

I've been dithering about joining Lori's quilt along, too. While dithering I was looking at string quilts via google images and pinterest. I saw several in this pattern and it is stunning. I think your blues will make a wonderful quilt. Perhaps you will like the blocks so much that you'll want to make big quilt?

Kathy S. said...

Great use of strings! Love those blues. Thanks for referencing the tutorial and Lori's blog.

Debbie said...

This is the shape I used for the spider web string quilt top....not sure if it will turn into a finished quilt any time soon. This is a fun one to piece. Looks good.

Cathy said...

I made my first spider web quilt that way and still have those odd shaped pieces that I cut away. They are actually pieces with spider webs on them so now I am sewing those odd pieces together to use as some of the centers of a spider web quilt using a different method to make the blocks which means tearing away paper which I don't really mind all that much.

Nice blue strings you have to work with!

I have so many string quilts in the works so probably will not link up with Lori but will view everyone who links up for new ideas.

Barbara said...

Well that’s interesting. You can use those triangles to make an eensy weensy one and the triangles will get smaller and smaller.

Debby Dodds said...

Strings are amazingly fun! Thanks for finding and sharing this method -- I plan to try it out!!

Needled Mom said...

I love the spider web quilts. This is going to be gorgeous.

Susie H said...

Great spider web quilt start. I like that you've set the bar fairly low to see if you like it. I bet after you get going you'll end up with a much larger quilt! ;-)

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Nice start to what will surely be a very cool spiderweb quilt! That is a really interesting method. So many variations on how to make string quilts!

Lori said...

Such a classic block to use with strings. Great tutorial too!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I think this will be a very interesting piece all together...I like how you mentioned pros and cons. So many different methods with intriguing results. Happy Stitching!

Kyle said...

That's an interesting technique so there isn't the extra weight of the foundation fabric.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Oh these are going to be fabulous! Thanks for the tutorial too.

Susan said...

What a great technique - looking forward to seeing lots of webs...funny how we dither until the deadline looms!

FlourishingPalms said...

Oh how I like a pretty string quilt! I think that's because I feel like I'm putting the leftover scraps to best use. I've always thought I wanted to make a Spider Web quilt, and after seeing yours, you've got me to thinking. Nice that it's actually fabric foundation piecing, rather than foundation paper piecing. Nothing needs to be removed afterward, though the base fabric might make your quilt a wee bit heavier. I think you're gonna have fun with this. And congratulations on being a winner in Wendys' blog giveaway! That's fabulous! Did you go to her blog to comment after reading about her giveaway on my blog? C'mon here, give me some credit! (Ha, ha, ha).

Paulette said...

Ooh, your quilt is going to be so pretty with the blue string spiderwebs! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. I made a little string spiderweb wall hanging several years ago, but can't remember the method I used. Don't remember trimming off anything, though. That's an interesting technique!

JanineMarie said...

Wow, what a neat way to do a string block! No paper to mess with and no heavy fabric. This is going to be beautiful with those white shapes in it.