Friday, June 22, 2018

"Lines and Boxes" - a June Finish!

When my son was a preschooler one day he asked his dad, "Why do you always wear lines and boxes," referring to his dad's fondness for striped, plaid and checked shirts.  So, looking at this quilt, Lines and Boxes seemed a perfect name!  Quilted with lines, pieced with 'boxes', and finished today, washed, labeled, and bound for the church camp auction later this summer.

Taken just after the sun broke through the fog early this morning, the hillside in the background was still shrouded in mist

The quilt finished at 82-1/2 by 91 inches, shrinking about three inches in both length and width during quilting and the first wash. A good size for either a double or queen size bed.

Shown on the queen size guest bed

This was made primarily of donated scraps with a few additions from my own scrap bins. I ditch quilted every seam, with the diagonal lines creating a shadowy effect in the 6 inch squares when I crossed them.  I like the effect and the result should be very durable, a good quality for a utility quilt.

Though this one will be auctioned, there were plenty of scraps and so I cut enough to make a second similar quilt for us. Hopefully piecing will begin this fall.

Though the grass was soaking wet from yesterday's rain I couldn't resist getting another outside shot in the early morning sunshine!   
Right into the washing machine as soon as we came inside.  Thankfully none of the deep reds and blues bled into the light fabrics! 

And to close for today, a sneak peek at the latest top to go under the needle.  Hoping to have the quilting finished by the end of the month.

Happy weekend, and may your email be filled with sweet quilty comments once again!

17 comments:

Debbie said...

Love the story to go with the quilt! Aren't those memories precious to capture in a quilt? Simple quilt to fulfill simple expressions. This one will be a great one for the auction.

Karen said...

I went through a period of not making bed size quilts as I had too many. Then several were gifted and I feel the need to make them again and am doing so. Your new quilt is wonderful. I like the look. I like the story behind the name of your new quilt.

Barbara said...

Wow! It’s absolutely gorgeous! Great story too.

Needled Mom said...

Perfect name for a beautiful quilt.

Kyle said...

Your quilt is beautiful and I adore the name especially with the story

Lady Jane said...

This is colorful and beautiful!!! hugs, lj

audrey said...

Gorgeous looking quilt! The stitching is perfect and I love that it has so many fabrics included! Great finish.:)

Janet O. said...

Such a cute story about the source of the name. This is a quilt that showcases all that is good about scrap quilts. It makes my heart sing!

Lizzy D said...

What a beauty! Those auctions must be fun!

lizzy

lizzzz.d@gmail.com

Pat said...

Your quilt is what a quilt should be - filled with wonderful pieces of fabric, texture and comfort! Great job! And a perfect name.

---"Love" said...

No doubt your quilt will bring in lots of money in the auction. It is incredibly beautiful! I know you made it for a donation quilt, hut I'm wondering if you ever regret that idea and wish you could keep it? Sometimes that happens to me, but when I start a donation quilt, I have always stayed with the plan and let it go. Only once have I really regretted it after the sale. I'm sure you'll stay with your plan too. ---"Love"

Marie said...

Oh, I LOVE your Lines and Boxes - it is just perfect and will be a fantastic addition to the auction. And a huge Thank You for helping me sort out my blogger email issues - I'm back in business!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Oh my goodness it is gorgeous and off to church /charity for a good cause? Kudos to you :)

Ruth said...

Lines and Boxes is indeed a gorgeous quilt! It should bring in a nice sum!

Barb said...

great title story - how sweet.
great traditional quilt lovely - someone will thrilled to win this!

Nancy said...

Your Lines and Boxes is beautiful! I especially like the colors you chose. I'm always amazed at how stunning a simple pattern can be. It always interests me to see/hear how children interpret what they see. Your son was very observant to notice.

Linda said...

It is absolutely gorgeous! Love the colors.