Thursday, June 14, 2018

A Collaborative Finish!

First, let me apologize to those who left kind comments on my last post.  This blogger nightmare of not sending your comments to my email has taken more time than I have had lately.  I promise to try to do better this time.  Now if Blogger would just fix the mess they've made!

Anyway, another church camp auction quilt is a finish as of this afternoon!  One of our ministry group members created this beautiful Kim Diehl top, and since she wanted to donate it to the auction but does not do her own quilting asked if I would be willing to finish it up for her.  With more than a bit of fear and trepidation I agreed.  Here is our collaborative finish!

Let us just say, the  background quilting is very 'organic' ... a nice way of saying "not very straight lines!"  If there is one good thing about using black thread for quilting, it is that you can't see the mistakes, and in the end just notice the texture.  This was my first time attempting to machine quilt homespun fabrics, except for the large brown blossom pieces, they behaved pretty well.  I had an extra dark bamboo pole just lounging in the corner of the sewing room and decided to put it to use as a hanger for this quilt, which finished at 47" square.  I'm liking the look, and hopefully the eventual buyer will too.

I'm more than a bit under the gun this summer, with at least three, and possibly four more tops to have quilted before the auction Labor Day weekend.  But one of the largest, a queen size, is down to hand stitching the binding to the back.  Another finish very soon, I hope! 

10 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Quilting Babcia said...

A sunny day in June is a treasure to savor ... and blogging comments coming to my email again would be the icing on my cake!

Kyle said...

What a wonderful addition to the auction. "Organic quilting" is perfect for this simple prim style quilt.

Janet O. said...

That is a lovely piece. Surely it will be popular at the auction. Quilting looks very good to me!
I have been so frustrated with this blogger issue, too!

Julie said...

From the picture, it's smashing! It's wonderful that you have the skills needed to finish it off for the cause, and good of you when you have so many of your own to get done. The bamboo might have just been sitting there, but it appears it was made to order. Even without seeing the other options, this would be my auction pick. Good luck raising your funds, and enjoy your quilting time.

Debbie said...

Beautiful! You both did yourselves proud on this one. I am sure the lucky winner will enjoy it. Remember....any wobbles in the quilting were intended!

Barb said...

beautiful finish!
fingers crossed on the blogger issue

Barbara said...

It’s beautiful. Good luck with the auction. As for Blogger comments, I just realized that I won’t get notification of comments left on old posts...before I started leaving myself messages. I found two in the “moderation” bucket this morning (because I moderate comments more than 30 days old. Anyway...they’re taking their sweet time fixing it, aren’t they?

Ruth said...

That is absolutely gorgeous!! I really love Kim Diehl's designs. It is perfect.

Marie said...

Great teamwork - this is just gorgeous!