Monday, May 14, 2018

Tutti Frutti and other Stuff

Wow, almost a month since my last post.  But, I've been busy, for the past month, stitching slowly, ever so slowly it seems, on a quilt top from a book entitled "Jelly Roll Quilts in a Weekend" by Pam and Nicky Lintott.  Well, obviously they've never encountered the snail's pace of my piecing!  Maybe the fact that I started with fat-eighths and stash scraps instead of a pretty jelly roll ... whatever!

So, here's the completed top, which for lack of originality on my part I'm calling by the same name as the book pattern, Tutti Frutti.


First off, I will say I made my top larger than the pattern which would have made the top 48x64 inches.  I added an additional row of blocks plus a border, bringing this top to 74x74 inches, a nice bed or large throw size quilt. This is the last of the tops I'm planning on piecing for this year's church camp benefit auction.  It seemed to take F.O.R.E.V.E.R. though!  This was also pieced on my faithful Featherweight at the dining room table, as my back issues continue.   At this point, I've seen two chiropractors and my primary care doctor, and had x-rays, which ruled out a compression fracture but won't show if there is a herniated disc, which I suspect is part of the underlying issue.  The sciatic nerve pain has calmed somewhat, though impending rainy weather brings it back with a fury.  The lower back pain is pretty much constant.  But enough of that, this is a quilting blog!

A couple close-ups of these bright and cheerful blocks:


Most of the fabrics used in the blocks are either from a donated fat-eighth bundle or scraps from my stash.  I'm hoping to piece a simple back tomorrow from some donated coordinating yardage, and cut the binding strips.

In other news, I recently entered a giveaway held by Julie of JulieKQuilts, and Saturday morning the mail truck placed a little box on the back porch containing this sweet bundle of goodies:
I've long thought of making a double wedding quilt, at least a small one, and the book she included has some excellent examples of various settings and complete instructions for piecing these blocks. Thank you so much Julie!

Later this month I'll be celebrating my 6th blogaversary, and that day is coincidentally also my birthday, so who knows what my next post will hold.  One thing I can assure you, it won't be another finished flimsy!

11 comments:

Lizzy D said...

Very fun and beautiful.

lizzy at gone to the beach...

lizzzz.d@gmail.com

---"Love" said...

Your quilt top turned out very pretty; the fabrics are so cheerful. Someone will be very happy to be the new owner when you get it finished. ---"Love"

Debbie said...

The top looks great...fun and colorful is the right description!
Sorry for those back and nerve issues. I truely understand how much it can slow you down. If you can find a comfortable position...stay there:)
Seems those pains are mysterious and difficult to figure out. That was one of my first symptoms, and they did the scans and PT to no avail. Myelin sheath damage does not show on anything. How the weather moves thru quickly and is not too painful.

Kyle said...

Your quilt is fantastic and full of wonderful fabrics. It will be a popular one for the auction. Sorry about your back, but I'm glad your little featherweight come to the rescue.

Barbara said...

Well I love that quilt top. What a great scrap buster.

Janet O. said...

That is a great scrap quilt--very cheerful!
Sorry you are continuing to deal with the back trouble. Hope they can find something to give you relief soon. I have dealt with bulging discs, and sciatica. My heart goes out to you!
I have a quilt partially made using that pattern you received from Julie. Maybe if I see you work on it, it will inspire me to make progress. :)

audrey said...

Looking so good! I'm sure it's been fun to work on.:) Hope you continue to improve!:)

Cathy said...

Tutti Fruitti looks like an Arkansas Crossroads quilt. What a nice mix of fabrics. Sorry to hear you are still struggling with those back problems.

FlourishingPalms said...

Such a pretty quilt design. I like that block because it's another that makes good use of 2-1/2" squares, a size I often cut my leftovers into. I'm sure sorry to hear about your back problems though. I've never had them, except for the incidental muscle pull, but others tell me that's the worst kind of pain. I hope someone gets to the bottom of your problem... soon! Six years blogging, in this era of blog-posting slow downs is pretty remarkable. Happy celebratory days ahead, for both your blog and yourself!

Mrs. Sutherland said...

Simply love your quilt! The simple design, the bright colors in combination with the white. So lovely!
Have a nice weekeind,
Mar fron the Netherlands

Quilting Babcia said...

Thank you for your sweet comment Mar. I don't have an email address for you so replying here.