Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Mindless Piecing Makes a Flimsy

So a week ago I awoke with excruciating lower back and leg pain, but it was quilt group day, so of course you know what I did, lol!   A visit to the chiropractor the next day revealed a twisted tailbone and impingement of the sciatic nerve.  And how did that happen?  No clue, but four visits later it seems to be improving slowly.  Either that or I'm just adapting to the pain, with the help of some over the counter anti-inflammatories and some mild pain meds.

Anyhow, during this hiaitus, about the only chair comfortable enough to sit on was a dining room chair, so I parked the faithful little featherweight on the table and began piecing nine-patch blocks.  These fabrics were donated to our quilt ministry a year or so ago from an anonymous friend, and have patiently awaited their destiny.  There was a fat quarter bundle of lovely deep shades of shot cotton and small yardages of Kaffe Fassett prints.    I'd never tried a disappearing nine-patch before, in fact had only ever seen one recently, so it seemed easy enough and not too complicated that the back pain would interfere with assembling the top in a coherent manner.  Hmm, have 'disappearing nine-patch' and 'coherent' ever been used in the same sentence before?  Hehe! After determining I could wrangle enough pieces for 20 blocks of the featured floral if I made the pieces 5" square, I set about cutting up the fabric, and this is the result.

Pretty wild, huh? You'll have to take my word for it, the colors are FAR lovelier than depicted in my poor photo attempts.  Especially the shot cottons, which are just beautiful in their own right.  The following close-ups provide a little better color rendition, though not perfect by far.


So, this top measures 67 x 80 inches, and is slated to join a group of quilts our group will be donating for the church camp's annual benefit auction over Labor Day weekend.  My sweet hubby who favors deep greens and browns and is generally not a fan of wild color combos thinks this top is pretty cool, so if auction-goers don't get super-excited, it may end up coming home to live with us, who knows? I'll be piecing the back next week, using some of the left-over yardage and another 'coordinating' print - coordinating with the dark shot cottons at least!

I also began another mindless piecing project over the past few days, and will post when there's more to show.  Right now it consists of a few hundred semi-pieced 4-patch blocks, with alternate blocks yet to be cut and assembled.  Fun bright fabrics, with a plain white background, another auction donation quilt in the making.  More later.

I'm happy to say after four adjustments by our chiropractor, including one this morning, things are beginning to look up, and hopefully if I don't move or twist incorrectly the back will be back to some semblance of normal before too many more days.   The interesting thing is, since my back went out, the wrist doesn't hurt a bit!  Guess I'd best get back to some FMQ while that lasts!

Aww Mom, put it on the floor, will ya?

11 comments:

Debbie said...

Wow, look at you go! I love the mix of colors to make it all pop. So glad you are moving and not in such pain.

Kyle said...

Your "mindless" sewing has produced n exciting quilt. I like the diagonal color arrangement. The shot cottons add a bright fun style to that disappearing nine patch. Glad you're feeling better. When your back hurts, it's miserable.

Janet O. said...

A very creative and effective use of the fabrics! Isn't it a satisfying feeling to create a thing of beauty from some random fabrics? It is a lovely quilt.

Needled Mom said...

Ouch....that does not sound like fun. Hope things continue to improve. Glad you are able to do some sewing while recovering.

Barb said...

Ouch - back problems are worst!
fun colorful project to work on.
What a sweet pup!

Cathy said...

Oh, I hope you are slowly improving and not just getting used to the pain!

Such rich colors in that top! I can't believe you had such a generous fabric donor. I only have a few Kaffe fabrics and I horde scraps and all. (Sinful, I know). I started to make a D9P once and hated all that sewing together, cutting apart, and sewing together so figured out how to make the blocks for the layout I wanted by just cutting and sewing together the pieces. (Basically four pieces bordered on two sides with a corner stone). I don't think I'm that accurate of a cutter.

Congrats on the top despite the pain! Maybe it was a Disappearing Pain Patch!

Dawn said...

Hope you are feeling better.
You have really made use of your time, still piecing!
I'm sure it will be a hit at the auction.

Pat said...

Sending hope that you are so much more comfortable by now...and your ability to figure out a way to keep sewing is a great example of the determination of a quilter to get the job done! Lovely colors as the sunlight streams from the back of your quilt - it just glows.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I've suffered from back and neck problems in the past and know how painful they can be but clearly you surmounted them in regards to creation amidst the troubles! Lovely!

Barb said...

Hope you are feeling better. Your quilt turned out just wonderful inspite of your pain.

cocoya said...

A very creative and effective use of the fabrics! Isn't it a satisfying feeling to create a thing of beauty from some random fabrics? It is a lovely quilt.
เกมส์สล็อต