Monday, November 23, 2015

A Handstitching Weekend

It was 12 degrees outside this morning - yikes!  I need to double-down and get the remaining three borders quilted on The Blockade quilt so we can add it to the pile on the beds to keep us warm!  And "they" said El Nino would bring us a warmer than normal winter!

It's all about hand stitching these days.  The sewing machines are covered until it's time to stitch the binding on the two quilts in the hoops.  My goal is to finish both before the end of the year.  The big stitch quilting on the giant hexie quilt is coming along nicely, nearly half done now.

And today begins week three of making the Quilty 365 circles.  These are the ones completed last week.

I found some scraps from the Thanksgiving table napkins I made a few years ago, so this week's circles will have a theme.  I'm thinking this finished quilt will be a quilt of seasons, we'll see how that theme progresses as the months go by.  Are any of you already thinking about setting options for all these circle blocks?  The possibilities occupy my mind around 3 a.m. on those nights when sleep seems elusive, and there are many - possibilities and sleepless nights it seems.

With grocery shopping tomorrow and baking on Wednesday I think those couple circles sewn ahead of time will keep things nearly on schedule.  Wishing all of you a blessed Thanksgiving filled with happy laughter with friends and family.


10 comments:

Kyle said...

I love the look of the large fan on your large hexie quilt. They just seem to go together. Enjoy your Thanksgiving.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

You are a lean mean quilting machine--with colder weather on its way--the extra quilt on the bed should feel mighty nice

Heather said...

I have made 14 circle blocks so far, and yesterday decided on my setting option. I am going for an 18 x 22 layout, which gives a total of 378 squares. I worked out that allowing for the leap year means there are 12 'extra' squares, which works out nicely to place as a blank square at the end of each month.

Julierose said...

No setting ideas as yet--have finished 19 so far...yours are lovely...hugs, Julierose

Needled Mom said...

The quilting looks so pretty and those circles are great!

Janet O. said...

Beautiful quilting! It is giving that quilt an amazing look!

Debbie said...

The quilting is looking beautiful......it is going to be a great quilt. You have gotten a lot done. Enjoy your family time this week :)

Dana Gaffney said...

Your quilting is beautiful, all by hand? Amazing. At least you'll be warm with the quilt draped over you as you sew. 12 degrees is way too cold. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Ruth said...

I agree with everyone's assessment on your quilting! Looks great! I decided I better not start the circle blocks. I have enough UFOs as it is! Hee Hee!

Mary said...

12 degrees is really cold! Stay warm and enjoy your Thanksgiving.