Saturday, December 29, 2012

Because every boy needs the cover of a superhero sometimes ...

Next up in my parade of grandchildren's quilts is this one for a six-year-old aspiring superhero!  Super-fun to make, I only wish I'd been able to locate a greater variety of superhero fabrics at the time.    This one was completed after our rainy fall season had begun, here it is draped over towels on our wet deck rail.


The August FMQ Challenge tutorial by Wendy Sheppard was a little overall motif she called Jester's Hat, and it was absolutely perfect for this quilt!  The Jesters appear in each of the theme blocks as well as the dark blue border.  This was my first experiment using a variegated thread for quilting, and I think it worked well against the dark background.

I loved the way the gold/yellow background fabric popped with the outline quilting:
A bit of the back:
Quilted with Aurifil 50 wt. for both top and bobbin, with a low loft poly batting.  This quilt was totally fun to make, and was yet another great practice piece for the FMQ skills we learned during SewCalGal's FMQ Challenge this year!


5 comments:

Ray and Jeanne said...

It looks wonderful! The variegated thread is perfect! You did a fine job with the Jester Hats too! I bet this grandchild will be SUPER happy! ~Jeanne

Anonymous said...

I didn't do the 'jester's hat' motif but, after reading on some of the blogs, it was one of those that was a bit more challenging to get used to. It appears you grabbed it and ran with it quite well and it certainly was the perfect choice for this wonderful quilt! So much fun!! Really like how the variegated thread works with this....hugs, D

StitchinByTheLake said...

My grandson loves all things Superhero so he would be over the moon for this quilt! blessings, marlene

Dana Gaffney said...

I'll bet he loves it, it's wonderful. You picked just the right colors too, I especially like the green in the border. Good job!

Elvis Lives said...

That is a fantastic version of jester's hat.