Saturday, June 8, 2024

June Blooms and Bramble II

 A couple weeks ago Audrey at Quilty Folk posted the first prompt for the second quilt in our Bramble Blooms QAL series.  She suggested the center of the medallion be created of pieced blocks, perhaps echoing the quarter triangle blocks in the first border of BB-I.  

I've had a copy of Sujata Shah's Cultural Fusion Quilts for several years but had never attempted any of her patterns.  It seemed like it would be easy enough to create those Crossroads blocks, but proved otherwise for me.  Especially the cutting - good thing you can't see the jagged edges on the backs of my first (and only) attempt.  Silly me, cutting my first four blocks from good fabrics instead of really old and undesirably ugly scraps!  Though after ripping apart the first block 3 times, I finally figured out that pinning the seams every half inch or so made a "fairly" presentable block.  They don't lie particularly flat, but hoping the excess bias can be quilted out eventually.

When I pulled fabric for this quilt series, I had a "focus fabric" which finally has been used in this quilt center.  It is the light floral triangles in the bottom right block.  I also rather like the funky polkadot fabric, and used up  nearly all of the small piece I had in these blocks.  The blocks were made from 9-1/2 inch squares and they finished at 7-1/2 inches.  


My plan is to use some pastel sashing around the blocks, though likely not the one shown here as it seems a bit too pale.  I'll probably wait until we receive the second prompt before finalizing that decision.  

OK then.  This past week the flower beds have been gorgeous with peonies and our first purple poppy of the season, and a glorious one it is!



This bumblebee appeared to be sound asleep!



Sammy Cat generally runs off when I attempt to photograph him, but the possibility of a rubdown on the back walk was just too tempting.

All stretched out (show-off!)

Happy summer weekend to all!



11 comments:

Juliann in WA said...

I love your blocks for BB#2! I have used Sujata’s method a number of times and made my center with her instructions too. And the flowers - just loving all that pink.

Janet O. said...

Fun blocks!
Oh, that purple poppy is stunning!
Smart way to keep the peonies upright.
Sammy's routine made me chuckle. :)

FlourishingPalms said...

It's always interesting to see how a quiltmaker approaches a project, and how it comes together, or not. I fully empathize with your experience making those X blocks. But it's good that you gave it a go, and will see it work out in the quilt top. Blocks sure look good anyway! Love seeing your flowers and garden. I appreciate the different plants you enjoy, and agree that the purple poppy is stunning - that color!

Julierose said...

Your BB2 blocks are looking great!! Love the colorways in them; should give you many different ways to expand...
That poppy is amazing!! And love the peony color...
Hugs, Julierose

Lizzy D said...

Your flowers are beautiful! The long wet spring brought great results.
Sammy is so adorable, long slim and creamy marmalade boy.

Your BB2 blocks look interesting. I am always baffled by the cut and sew fee style designed blocks, by Shah or G Marston. You did a great job. And kudos for hanging in with BB SAL part 2.

Chantal said...

I commend you for trying something out of your comfort zone! The blocks don't look too bumpy from here. They will be fine after the quilting is done. I love the prints you picked. I really like that polka-dot one.
Your purple poppy is AMAZING! First time I see a purple one. GORGEOUS! And give Sammy a good cheek rub from me. Enjoy! ;^)

Mystic Quilter said...

Your blocks for BB2 are delightful, beautiful fabrics and Sujata has a great selection of patterns in her book.

Nann said...

Late-spring flowers are so glorious. I don't think I've ever seen a purple poppy. I've had Sujata's book since it came out and I haven't made anything from it, either. Changing from the 'normal' cutting style to wonky requires a
brain/muscle memory shift.

Paulette said...

I love the fabrics you're using! I have a copy of that book, too, but have yet to make anything. Seeing yours and others' blocks are reminding me to try some of them out. Beautiful flowers! A purple poppy, wow!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I feel like my body could use a good stretch like Sammy. SO enjoyed reading about your BB decisions and so love what you are doing with this challenge. Such pretty fabrics to play with. I've never seen a purple poppy and it is gorgeous, as are your other blooms as well. Thanks for sharing them.

Nancy said...

Your crossroads blocks are such fun, Pat. You chose good fabrics to use together. The funky polka dot fabric is delightful and adds even more interest.
What a glorious poppy! I've never seen one that color.
Sammy and his stretch make me laugh. He looks very long!