Monday, April 25, 2022

Seasons

The seasons change, and so too the seasons of life.   Quilting is slowing as other demands on time and energy for caregiving for my sweet DH increase.  I'm still enjoying reading your blog posts in the quiet moments, though you'll have to forgive me if I don't always comment.  

Over the past couple months I have been able to complete two simple quilt tops, both will eventually become donation quilts through our little ministry.  This first one used up a bunch of 2-1/2 inch squares that had accumulated in the bottom of my "work box" that travels back and forth to our meetings, and was completed entirely during our weekly get-togethers over the past several weeks.  The top measures 56-1/2 x 60 inches.



When I made the "Black Magic" triangle quilt last year, there were quite a few leftover triangles and I knew there would be another one for donation to the yearly camp auction.  One of the names suggested for the first version was "Puffins and Penguins" though that quilt contained neither.  So I scouted out some penguin fabric, and when I won a recent giveaway from Sally at Objects of Design I asked for a square of puffin fabric if she had any, and she responded with several swatches of sweet little puffins. Thank you Sally!  The new quilt flimsy will be "Puffins and Penguins" and it measures 73x73 inches.

Shown in all its rumpled glory on the guest bed since the critters are all shedding their winter fur and this is the only room that remains relatively fur-free at the moment.

There are all sorts of wild and sassy animals and other wonderful I-Spy things in this top!

Have I exhausted my enjoyment of making these triangle quilts? Nope!  When our lives become more normal again, I'd love to make a Panama Pyramids quilt, maybe using some Kaffe Fassett pieces I've been accumulating. For now at least, I think black and white "might" be out of my system.

There might be a mini project at the end of the month, just the binding left to add if time permits.  If we are fortunate enough to have some good weather several of the kids and older grands are going to have a work party outside to help clean up all the branches, rocks, logs and other debris on the property left from last winter's windstorms and floods.  We surely need the help, and soon, the grass is growing gangbusters after our warm 70-80s weekend.  On a happy note, the daffodils have begun to bloom!

Til next time, happy stitching.


13 comments:

Kyle said...

I'm so sorry to hear that your DH is not doing well. I hope he will be feeling better soon. Life does have many seasons. I'm glad you have found the time to do what you love. Your donation quilt are a gift that some one will love and appreciate.

Chantal said...

Happy to see you in Blogland again. Sorry your DH is going through a rough patch. Sending prayers and good vibes to both of you for a speedy comeback to a normal life, whatever normal means.
It's good that you still sew a little. It's a good relaxing hobby to do when times are tough. Love your latest quilts. Puffins and Penguins is a great name. Take care. ;^)

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Life's road bumps do change our habits. I have been behind in my blog reading and commenting too. I am sorry your husband isn't doing well. I'm glad you were able to sneak a few moments for some fun piecing. I have always wanted to do a pyramid quilt. Yours is gorgeous. All those perfect points! Hope you get some quiet moments soon.

Janet O. said...

Two beautiful "scrap" quilts, though as pretty as they are, it is hard to think of them as scraps. I do love the name of your triangle quilts. I'd be tempted to add a second label on the back when finished, with a list of all the animals, for a rousing game of "I Spy".
I am sorry your hubby's need for help is increasing, and glad to hear that the family is gathering to help you with the yard. I hope you can continue to find time for therapy with your stitching among all the caregiving! Prayers will be with you!

Hill Top Post said...

I almost love the Puffins and Penguins quilt as much as I do the Black Magic one. What fun it would be to look at all those wonderful fabrics, and to also admire all those perfectly constructed triangles. I am sorry that your DH is not doing well. Hopefully, he will be feeling better soon. You have certainly donated a lot of beautiful quilts, and this one is no exception. Mary at Hilltop Post.

Barb said...

Seems everyone feels behind. Sorry to hear about your husband's need for more care. It is not easy.
I am happy to see that you have made two fun and scrappy quilts and hope making them gave you some joy. The pyramids quilts is just fabulous! I've never tried one.
happy spring

Quilting Babcia said...

Thanks Mary! It seems I can't quite get these triangles out of my mind. Finding all the black and white fabrics was a lot of fun, and hopefully whoever ends up with that quilt will love the I-Spy aspects.

cityquilter grace said...

lovely quilts....it seems the scraps just keep multiplying don't they!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

It is hard to be in a caregiving role, but what a blessing for your DH that he has you. And, wonderful that you both have kids and grands to help with your property! Meanwhile your tops are so fun. I love the triangles!

Needled Mom said...

Caregiving of a loved one is emotionally draining. Bless you! Your triangle quilt is fabulous and I love the 2" block one too.....simple and yet so pretty.

Angie said...

Both of the "new" quilts are such great scrap quilt specimens! I can see how the black & white theme could get into one's system!

Barbara said...

Love your triangles quilts and your latest is charming with all those fun fabrics. And the 4-patch setting is a great way to showcase all those scrappy 2-1/2" squares :) I'm so sorry to hear about your husband and I hope you get the help you need. It's not easy being a caregiver. Take care of yourself, too :)

Nancy said...

Your Puffins and Penguins is delightful, with so many fun fabrics. For sure a child will love the I-spy aspect of the quilt. Your first quilt is bright and beautiful. I love the burgundy solid. I think I'm finally learning that a scrap quilt needs one consistent fabric to make it work well.
I'm sorry to hear that your husband's needs have increased. I hope you can keep up, or ask for help if you need it. Being a caregiver can be tiring, both physically and emotionally. Take care of yourself, too.