Friday, April 29, 2022

April's Monthly Minis

 This month's mini is actually five small pieces, three are full size 12x16 inch placemats, a smaller perhaps luncheon size placemat, and a hot dish mat or mug rug.

These are mostly leftover pieces from my Marrakesh quilt of a few years back.  After piecing all the 2-1/2 inch squares and assembling the larger mats, the remaining small bits were randomly pieced into rows for the mug rug.  Some leftover less-than-a-fat-quarter size pieces make up the bindings.


I had this piece that was just large enough (with some seaming) to make the backing for all the mats.


Another swiffer box of scraps emptied, but why does the scrap pile in the corner of the room keep growing??

After two lovely 80 degree-plus days early this week, we've had a day of snow and this morning there was snow on the deck and a cold north wind blew all day, though the sun shone brightly.  We've covered the iris plants tonight as our low temp is expected to be in the low 20s.  Brr!

I hope it is warm and sunny where you are!  Please check out Wendy's blog at The Constant Quilter to enjoy more monthly minis.

12 comments:

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

These are very nice mats of all sizes. It's so funny (?) how scraps just multiply no matter what!

Barbara said...

What a wonderful group of minis! I love that backing fabric and the squiggly quilting lines are a nice finishing touch. Maybe we'll get some warmer weather tomorrow :) I am so ready!

Janet O. said...

Nice way to use up the scraps--now if they would just quit multiplying when we aren't looking.
I think I had some of that very fabric you used as backing, and mine became a backing as well.
We are cold and rainy, after some pretty nice days. Mother Nature can't make up her mind.

Robin said...

The placemats are great and I love the backing material. Spring weather is always so unpredictable. My husband has already planted our tomatoes. I hope it doesn't freeze again around here.

Hill Top Post said...

Some of the best things happen with your left-over scraps ~ attractive and useful things. I doubt there are many scraps that go to waste at your house. Those are some big swings in temperature. Mother Nature just can't seem to make up her mind, except for one thing ~ that the wind is going to blow ~ sometimes a cold wind and sometimes a hot wind, but blow it does.

Kyle said...

What a wonderful use of the last bits from your original quilt. I can't figure out either how the scraps multiply, but you keep trying to control them.

Needled Mom said...

Those not only look really nice, but they will be so practical too. Well done!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

I love that your little minis are adorable AND functional! Somehow I always feel better when I know my minis will be put to good use. Thanks for the fun!

QuiltGranma said...

At least you can figure out what to do with the scraps. We have been having rain, and in the mtns new snow.

Barb said...

cute minis - great way to use up those scraps. Snow after 80s? oh no.

Tazzie said...

What a great idea for your mini quilts, and so useful too! That fabric with the birds is just wonderful!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Nancy said...

Oh, that warm weather followed by snow! Brrrr is right. I hope your iris plants made it okay. Hasn't this been the most unusual spring?
Your small quilts are so peaceful. The backing is beautiful.
P.S. I left a comment a few minutes ago on your previous post but couldn't tell whether it published or not. Blogger is playing tricks again.