Friday, August 27, 2021

It's Friday and there's a Finish!

 After finishing the baby quilt earlier this month and perusing the bulging closet and general chaos surrounding me, I decided the next big thing needing tackling is the quilt tops awaiting machine quilting. Not to mention the two bed-size hand-quilting projects still currently underway.  So, the "needing machine quilting" tally was 3 bed size and one toddler/young child size quilt.  Then there's another bed size top approaching completion at quilt ministry.  And all the "wanna do" projects list that keeps growing!  I'd really rather start a few new piecing projects than endure the tedium of machine quilting, don't you know!

That said, my nose to the grindstone for the past couple weeks, I finally finished the oldest and largest of the list, the "Lines and Boxes II" quilt, which is nearly a clone of the one finished around three years ago for donation to the annual camp auction.  This is the latest one, which will stay with us as an additional winter quilt when the snow flies.  Shown here on the guest room queen size bed.  It finished at 86x96 inches.  

Quilting this one was more than a tad tedious and hard on the wrists, as it is quilted entirely with diagonal lines, stitched in the ditch on every stinkin' seam!  Or as close to the ditch as my eyes and coordination allowed, lol.




A lot of wonderfully scrappy pieces went into the making of these quilts, both from a few generous donations and my own stash.  My hubby loves the colors and so this will be "his" quilt. 

It has been way too hot and steamy for outside photos, with intermittent thunderstorms and wet ground, so all photos were indoors before the first wash/dry which is happening as I write this. 


Wishing you all a good weekend, and for those in the path of Ida, please be safe!  Til next time, happy stitching!


22 comments:

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Looks beautiful Always feels extra nice to finish an older WIP

Robin said...

This quilt turned out so lovely. I've only machine quilted a bed sized quilt once and I wasn't very good at it. I can't imagine trying to stitch in the ditch on that whole big quilt! That's quite and accomplishment.

lmno said...

I sewed this pattern in two colors. Red and muslin. One of my favorite quilts. Do you think you might sew it again?

Julierose said...

Just a beautiful finish on this one..I love the colors you chose...hugs, Julierose

Hill Top Post said...

Your hubby has great taste. What a beautiful quilt! Who wouldn't love to snuggle under this one while the snow is flying outside.

Chantal said...

Congratulations on this wonderful finish. I agree with your husband; the colours are beautiful in this one. Blocks don't always have to be complicated to make a beautiful quilt. Enjoy! ;^)

Quilting Babcia said...

Probably not, this second one was pretty boring by the time it was ready for quilting. And there are so many more interesting ideas to play with, and so little time!

Quilting Babcia said...

Thank you! It promises to be a warm one!

Lizzy D said...

Such a beautiful quilt! I love a classic pieced quilt.

lizzy

Kyle said...

Wow! What a beautiful finish. I can't believe that you quilted it yourself. Great job!

audrey said...

This turned out so well! I love how colorful it is. I totally gave up on stitched-in-the-ditch work until I got myself a special foot for that. Just couldn't every keep the stitch where it needed to be and then it looked so terrible! You did a fantastic job!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

It's such a beautiful quilt and you did a great job with the quilting. It looks so pretty in your guest room.

Barb said...

What a wonderful cuddly quilt. Great fabric choices and quilting too!

Angie said...

I love the yummy scrappiness of Lines & Boxes II! And the hand quilting will be worth it, 'cuz the quilt will be so soft and snuggly!

QuiltGranma said...

Love your quilt, some day I will make one similar, that is my style,,, easy piecing with beautiful fabrics.

Quilting Babcia said...

Thank you! It is a great way to use up a lot of small pieces if you enjoy scrappy.

Nancy said...

What a beauty! And congrats on the finish. So glad you stuck with the tedious part--I'm sure you'll find it worth it when winter comes. And I can absolutely understand why your husband loves this quilt.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

And what a finish it is! What a glorious scrappy quilt. I adore it!

Janet O. said...

It is a warm, wonderfully inviting quilt. I can see why Hubby likes it. Kudos to you for wrangling that big quilt and getting all those diagonal lines quilted. It looks really good!

Sandy said...

Congratulations on your beautiful finish! And … for quilting it yourself! As one who machine quilts 99.9% of my own quilts, I know what a lot of hard work that is. But so worth it to get the results you want. Bravo!

Barbara said...

What a wonderful finish! I'm so impressed with your quilting such a large quilt on your machine. And all diagonal lines no less. Love all the fabrics, too! Great job!

Jennie in GA said...

A lovely quilt and quilting!! Scrappy quilts are always a favorite.